Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Development On Valve's VOGL Debugger Seems To Have Stalled

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Development On Valve's VOGL Debugger Seems To Have Stalled

    Phoronix: Development On Valve's VOGL Debugger Seems To Have Stalled

    Two years ago at this time all of the excitement was building up around Valve's VOGL OpenGL debugger. While the VOGL source code hasn't even been public for two years yet, there hasn't been any new public activity to report on with the debugger in over a half-year...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lve-VOGL-No-Go

  • #2
    Another nail in the coffin of Valve's proclaimed Linux desktop revolution, I suppose. Wishful thinking only gets you so far.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd say with refocusing on Vulkan, OpenGL simply gets no priority now. It should be relegated to legacy cases. Understandable, though annoying if you do need to deal with OpenGL for some reason.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Another nail in the coffin of Valve's proclaimed Linux desktop revolution, I suppose. Wishful thinking only gets you so far.

        vogl is no more needed, since they are making native games, and vulkan is the future

        Comment


        • #5
          Get the feeling that Valve's enthusiasm for openGL has diminished. I wonder whether Rich Geldreich's opinions on the API are shared by others there (in private). Having said that their source2 engine seems to have the best openGL implementation around (in terms of performance).

          Anyway valve and lunarg have been working on an open source vulkan debugger (known as glave).
          https://steamdb.info/static/img/blog/55/glvdebugger.png

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            Another nail in the coffin of Valve's proclaimed Linux desktop revolution, I suppose. Wishful thinking only gets you so far.
            Except that Valve never proclamed anything about a desktop at all.
            Are you a troll or just ignorant?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by humbug View Post
              Get the feeling that Valve's enthusiasm for openGL has diminished. I wonder whether Rich Geldreich's opinions on the API are shared by others there (in private). Having said that their source2 engine seems to have the best openGL implementation around (in terms of performance).

              Anyway valve and lunarg have been working on an open source vulkan debugger (known as glave).
              https://steamdb.info/static/img/blog/55/glvdebugger.png
              This really isn't an issue of enthusiasm for OpenGL. What are you going to do, user another API? There is no other one, if you're doing Linux, you're doing OpenGL. Just because someone criticizes something doesn't mean they have lost interest in it; in fact the opposite is often true, they want it to succeed.

              You can't have OpenGL succeed without working on its problems. And you can't work on problems if you don't properly articulate and point them out beforehand.

              That being said, Geldreich was one of the main devs behind vogl, so it's understandable that development has slowed down after he left.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Another nail in the coffin of Valve's proclaimed Linux desktop revolution, I suppose. Wishful thinking only gets you so far.
                Seeing how they just released SteamOS to the public, updated it a few weeks ago and are very much working on their open source Vulkan driver I really wouldn't say anything to that affect. I get the feeling that somebody is trying to troll us here.

                My educated guess as to why this has happened is that Valve has simply moved their workforce to work on SteamOS, the Source 2 engine and their Vulkan efforts. They're not like a lot of tech behemoths that keep separate teams for everything they're working on and circulate engineers whenever necessary.
                "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Valve still exists? I thought maybe they fell off the planet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Valve still exists? I thought maybe they fell off the planet.
                    Seriously? You do know that Steam - which is THE place to get games for many years now - is a Valve product, right?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X