Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Multi Indirect Draw Support Coming To Mesa

Phoronix: Better Multi Indirect Draw Support Coming To Mesa

Ilia Mirkin has seemingly not taken much time off from his Mesa hacking for the holidays. On Thursday this developer who most frequently works on the Nouveau and Freedreno drivers has published patches for better ARB_multi_draw_indirect handling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, well. This extension DO started as convenience feature for g-truc It was "cobbled" by AMD crew in 2 weeks time too (cooped with g-truc).

So N draws implementation is perfectly fine Good that somebody work towards optimizations though. this extension is important step towards GPU creating its own tasks in OGL.

Comment

Wasn't this a key component of the low-overhead OpenGL pattern, that was recommended when Mantle was first discussed some two years ago?

Comment

As the GL tree becomes more feature complete it will be interesting to see if optimizations will become the main focus, or will a new architecture and newly released features always be the dominant focus.

Comment

I prefer Gallium Nine. I always get more performance per GPU utilization than Windowz. When the GPU is at 100% I get 110% frame-rate for example. The bad thing is that rarely the GPU goes higher than 70% and the frame-rate over 80%, but always my CPU is at full for the cores that the game uses. AMD should do some optimizations there, because regardless if they like it, Gallium Nine is here to stay and part of their driver (mostly their driver). That will make AMD the first Linux graphics solution.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Wasn't this a key component of the low-overhead OpenGL pattern, that was recommended when Mantle was first discussed some two years ago?
            Indirect drawing is, mutlidraws are just a convenience feature for most workloads. Its only when you are submitting hundreds of thousands of draws that the specialized driver handlers for mutlidraws becomes a significant performance gain. Indirect drawing lets you better thread your workload with fewer fences, and state is the most significant overhead in high level 3D APIs.

Comment

Working...
            X