Support For DRI1 Might Be Stripped From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    So you're saying that older hardware is immune to security vulnerabilities?
    What a ridiculous conclusion.
    First of all, that wasn't what I was getting at or even implying. Second, security vulnerabilities in X aren't that common, let alone exploited. Third, if you're using a device old enough that it doesn't support DRI2, chances are your PC doesn't have enough value for others to be targeting it.

If you're going to start acting like security is suddenly important because of these old crappy (for today's standards) devices then you need to stop using X11, or better yet, stop using a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      security vulnerabilities in X aren't that common, let alone exploited.
      You mean uncommon, right? X doesn't have any concept of security in the first place. Every client can intercept, send and spoof messages for every window (I think this is how window management is implemented).

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

You mean uncommon, right? X doesn't have any concept of security in the first place. Every client can intercept, send and spoof messages for every window (I think this is how window management is implemented).
        Whoops, I meant security vulnerabilities that the average user commonly encounters. Yeah, I can see how what I said is wrong/misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          Windows 8 and 10 do require SSE2 and NX-bit CPU features, which means they won't run on Pentium III and half of Pentium IV series
          hah, good to know. Hadn't bothered to look up the specific requirements yet (getting a bunch of false starts already with some distro's for linux). I remember getting Win7 to work on some crazy old hardware with things like RT7Lite. Anyone remember 98Lite?
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

I read that those IDE to SATA adapters are actually very slow, so you lose all the benefits of the faster SSD due to the slowness of the adapter. In practice you'll probably notice a little bit faster response times but not significantly better throughput. Personally I just use Compact Flash cards whenever possible.
            Yeah, the SSD will be 'wasted' but it was a purchase I made because it was going cheap (as it's the previous gen stuff that can't even saturate the SATA bus). I'm not too fussed about th e speed, but it will be interesting to see where it holds up compared to regular IDE. The adaptor combined with shitty ol ATA-100 might make for some interesting errors. I cant get a distro installed using spinning rust as yet (only tried Peppermint and Lubuntu a couple times).
            Hi

Comment

Working...
            X