The Next Mesa Release Doesn't Have Any Major OpenGL Breakthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

Is GL_ARB_compute_shader (OpenGL 4.3) more important?
    GL_ARB_compute_shader is done for Intel (since Ivy Bridge/gen7+), it just needs to be reviewed. So the next version will be Mesa 12 from what I understand as OpenGL ES 3.1 will be done in core Mesa and even Intel will support it fully. It's sad that the 12 version tag was missed by probably a few days (or weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Mesa won't be done but it might support the currently released openGL specification.
      It will be done as per the original idea of it being the FOSS OGL implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Looking at GL3.txt again, looks like that when compute shaders land, we'll have a clear way to full GL 4.5 compliance. Only three extensions left that aren't being worked on: GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 1, GL_ARB/KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior and GL_ARB_query_buffer_object 2, and they don't sound particularly difficult. Likely Mesa will be done next year, if Khronos doesn't release a new GL spec.
        1 GL_ARB_internalformat_query2: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/098432.html
        2 GL_ARB_query_buffer_object: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/083316.html
        Last edited by xxmitsu; 21 November 2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Interesting, so GL3.txt is slightly out of date, then. That leaves only one (and a half) extension not yet being worked on. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            That leaves only one (and a half) extension not yet being worked on.
            I don't think so. There are extensions which are marked as "in progress" but I doubt anybody is really working on them. For example GL_KHR_robustness. It seems to be marked as in progress because some other ARB-extension is done. But noone is actually working on the missing parts of GL_KHR_robustness. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

GL_ARB_compute_shader is done for Intel (since Ivy Bridge/gen7+), it just needs to be reviewed. So the next version will be Mesa 12 from what I understand as OpenGL ES 3.1 will be done in core Mesa and even Intel will support it fully. It's sad that the 12 version tag was missed by probably a few days (or weeks).

Well, on the other hand, version 12 being missed by a few days means that: 1) the next version after this one will be 12, and 2) there is a lot of time now until that next version, which means that it is likely that other OpenGL functionality will be implemented by then, too. Hopefully the nice number 12 will bring not only a GLES version but also a new version of regular OpenGL.

Comment

GL3.txt doesn't contain a lot of extentions which were published this year except for those for OpenGL ES 3.2 so it doesn't look that good.

Comment

Originally posted by mar3x View Post
                  GL3.txt doesn't contain a lot of extentions which were published this year except for those for OpenGL ES 3.2 so it doesn't look that good.
                  The importance of extensions which are not required by any OpenGL version is questionable. The consensus among Mesa contributors has been that non-core extensions should not be listed in GL3.txt.

Comment

As just an observer and quiet fan i didn't even realize these are non-core extensions, the only fact i remember is the OpenGL version haven't increased. That's fair enough.
                    BTW You're doing amazing job! Thx!

Comment

Working...
                    X