VirGL VirtIO 3D GPU Driver Added To Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    Does this mean it will work with proprietary drivers on the host machine?
    with some limitations, it only works with qemu in gtk/sdl mode on the screen. None of the egl/spice stuff will work with the current binary drivers. So with binary drivers it won't integrate well with libvirt.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post
      Can this driver be cross compiled for Windows? I know the current qxl driver is available for windows but can we use virgl with Mesa's gallium-nine backend to bring direct3d acceleration in windows?
      No. for Windows you need a WDDM kernel driver, and then a userspace Direct3D driver. The WDDM kernel driver would need to be written from scratch, the userspace D3D driver could reuse the gallium driver with a D3D(9,10).->gallium layer.

Comment

Will this replace the QXL driver?

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

No. for Windows you need a WDDM kernel driver, and then a userspace Direct3D driver. The WDDM kernel driver would need to be written from scratch, the userspace D3D driver could reuse the gallium driver with a D3D(9,10).->gallium layer.

ok nice job David

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Thanks for the info.

- Gilboa
            Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F32, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
            oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.1.
            Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F32, Dell U2711.
            Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F32.

Comment

Since I only run Linux guests, I stopped using emulated graphics devices in my guests in favor of making headless guests and connecting to the guest X sessions via xpra (which renders to Xvfb and has optional OpenGL support via VirtualGL)

It will be interested to see how well/if xpra can be made to play with VirGL.

Comment

Originally posted by justusranvier View Post
                Since I only run Linux guests, I stopped using emulated graphics devices in my guests in favor of making headless guests and connecting to the guest X sessions via xpra (which renders to Xvfb and has optional OpenGL support via VirtualGL)

It will be interested to see how well/if xpra can be made to play with VirGL.
                Interesting solution.
                How's the performance? Can it run KDE or GNOME shell without killing the host / guest?

- Gilboa
                Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F32, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
                oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.1.
                Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F32, Dell U2711.
                Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F32.

Comment

This is very interesting, I've been waiting for something like this to come along for years, thinking I'd have to do it myself one day even (really glad someone beat me to it) it's a shame that it only supports GL though (would be really nice to be able to run accelerated DirectX, not just GL programs on the guests)

Doubt that it'll be goo enough for gaming for now (at least modern games) but a couple of years down the line on better hardware, it may work like a good emulator for old games (at that time, modern games now)

Comment

Working...
                  X