Mesa 11.1-dev Tests With The Reverted RadeonSI Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
    Guess, I'll keep gaming in Windows for the next two years at least...
    Well, that would depend on the title and the quality you'd be looking for. I'm playing Diablo III on an APU without discrete GPU, in Linux. Sure, it's not the best quality ever (mostly because it's an APU) but, well, it's perfectly playable.

Comment

Well there is always an option for us users to band together and put up a bounty if we really want it sooner than later.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
        Well there is always an option for us users to band together and put up a bounty if we really want it sooner than later.
        I'm guessing it would have to be something like $5000 to make it worthwhile. And that is probably only good for one person, multiply that by number of people if it ends up being a team effort.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'm guessing it would have to be something like $5000 to make it worthwhile. And that is probably only good for one person, multiply that by number of people if it ends up being a team effort.
          Hehe, I didn't think it would be cheap. I doubt 1 person would want to take it on alone. A kickstarter bounty would probably have to hit 15-20k in order to garner serious interest. Add to that the people that change their dual-gpu's with every new iteration are either Windows only gamers or dual-booting. While they could offer the biggest pledges they would have the least interest in doing so.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

The latest round of graphics APIs expose multiple GPUs directly to the game engine rather than hiding them behind a Crossfire/SLI abstraction layer anyways, so it's tough to justify any development effort that doesn't happen quickly.

On the other hand, the way games have evolved over the last 5-10 years (increasingly heavy use of pre- and post-processing) means that the only broadly useful multi-GPU model is a simple Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR) approach, and that might be do-able fairly quickly.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
              Well, that would depend on the title and the quality you'd be looking for. I'm playing Diablo III on an APU without discrete GPU, in Linux. Sure, it's not the best quality ever (mostly because it's an APU) but, well, it's perfectly playable.
              Of course but with 290x crossfire I'm not aiming for playable. I like to crank things up and the Wither 3 looks really good when you down sample from 1440p.

Comment

The problem with Alternate Frame Rendering is that when you have inter-frame dependencies (e.g. motion blur), it becomes way slower, because GPUs have to read each other's buffers.

It looks like the only way to do CrossFire is to let game developers do it, not drivers. The Vulkan way.

I think drivers can do it as app-specific profiles only.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

If you can find some developers in Canada, your money will go a bit further because of the current CAD value.

Originally posted by Google
                  1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.76 US Dollar

Comment

Working...
                  X