Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Mesa 11.0 Coming, A Look At Development Stats

Phoronix: With Mesa 11.0 Coming, A Look At Development Stats

With Mesa 11.0 coming in September, which is bringing OpenGL 4.0~4.2 support and initial AMDGPU and Fiji support, it's been a busy past few months for Mesa developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by gens
    any chance to support UTF-8 ?
    The screenshots / GitStats results are all from GitStats itself.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wow there was a lot going on back in 2010 !

Comment

I find this article pretty useless...

As if the number of lines of "code" or the number of commits make a developer a good one.
        There are pure-gold changes of just one or few lines of code that improve performances and take months to be discovered.

Also, does GitStats count all the code comments ? Every Mesa file has an average of 20 lines of license header. Plus sometimes they copy parts of a RFC as comment.
        2000 lines of code are no better than 20 lines.

Fixing a typo is a commit. Changing a comment is a commit. A copy-paste of some specifications is a commit. Changing a variable name is a commit. Reverting a change is a commit.
        All of them don't actually count as valuable commits.
        Also, 7000 commits in one year are no better than 700 commits. They just indicate how big are the steps they've taken. Probably in 2010 they just made a lot of small, constant steps.

I don't find fair to rank developers (with their full names) based on the lines of code or the number of their commits.

We should pay more respect for what they're doing, instead of wasting our time writing or reading these kind of articles.

Comment

Marek does such awesome work on the AMD front. I cringe when I see UTF-8 errors in his name on phoronix articles.

Comment

Originally posted by mcallegari View Post
            We should pay more respect for what they're doing, instead of wasting our time writing or reading these kind of articles.
            The irony.

On a more serious note though -- I think the purpose was more to demonstrate the fact that Mesa is still very much a very active project. Not to highlight specific developers but more to highligh the project as a whole. And 1 or 2 golden patches are not going to bring it to where it could/should be, there still remains a lot of work to be done. The fact it has seen a lot of activity this year is simply put a very good sign and I think that is what you should take from an article like this.

Comment

They all do a fantastic job, i'm a bit spilt about this kind of statistics since number of commits doesn't show the work behind them.

Comment

umm.... I just bought a newish laptop, it has 4th generation proc, would it be possible to have opengl 4 on it at some point in time or no ?

$ lscpu
                Architecture: x86_64
                CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
                Byte Order: Little Endian
                CPU(s): 4
                On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
                Thread(s) per core: 2
                Core(s) per socket: 2
                Socket(s): 1
                NUMA node(s): 1
                Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
                CPU family: 6
                Model: 69
                Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz
                Stepping: 1
                CPU MHz: 1199.804
                CPU max MHz: 2900.0000
                CPU min MHz: 800.0000
                BogoMIPS: 4988.21
                Virtualization: VT-x
                L1d cache: 32K
                L1i cache: 32K
                L2 cache: 256K
                L3 cache: 3072K
                NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3

Comment

Originally posted by shirish View Post
                  umm.... I just bought a newish laptop, it has 4th generation proc, would it be possible to have opengl 4 on it at some point in time or no ?
                  Yep, it's possible, but it won't be in mesa 11 yet. What's missing is fp64 and tessellation. fp64 is being worked on. Tessellation will be trickier, as it doesn't seem Intel has anyone assigned to work on it, so it might take some time. Maybe once Intel is finished with GLES 3.1, they'll assign someone to implement tessellation.

Comment

September eh, well not if things continue on their current trend. According to Mesa Matrix it's been almost a Month since anything interesting has been done; not counting the one single commit one week ago and several drivers still have no 4.0 support.

Comment

Working...
                    X