You Can Get Vulkan Now... In Wearable Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Open in regards to khronos specs has always referred to the fact that anyone is able to join khronos and contribute. If they pay for membership. It has never meant that it was open to anyone on the internet with a keyboard.
    This is the only correct answer. Unfortunately Khronos has nothing to do with the FOSS philosophy of "release early and release often". Imagine not being able to see the Wayland spec until 1.0.

Technically, Mesa is not allowed to call itself "OpenGL conforming", because for that it would need to belong to a legal entity that is a member of Khronos.

Comment

I don't mind that Vulkan was designed behind closed doors. Design by committee sucks, too many chefs and all that.

There's a maxim that says a camel is a race horse designed by committee.

The constituent qualities that make up a camel may make sense, but the end result is quite a ridiculous animal. Whereas a race horse is sleek, cool and does what it does really well.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeschenes View Post
        I don't understand why there would be an NDA for an Open Specification like Vulkan or OpenGL.
        In fact, the thing is supposed to be open so people can review and comment.

Announcing a planned release date is also part of being open.

Also, I don't support the process for Vulkan development because it was all done behind closed doors.
        and how do they sort out rubish from good suggestions? if they opened it now, they'd be swarmed with all sorts of random requests most of which would probably be wanting some compatibility with old work. 95% of people do not have adequate knowledge, but what they do is usually wrong idea of why something is like it is. let the people who know what they are doing sort it out.

it's like posting add "lost my cat, 10 million to one who finds it" and forget to put picture beside description. your phone will go crazy

your suggestion that you cannot support this holds as much water as people claiming "release documentation and we'll write drivers". amd did and result was very rare people can even discern what goes on, way of jumping on writing drivers. there is one more fact...

you don't support OpenGL either, it was done in same way by Khronos members, we just get new release at SIGGRAPH
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 08 August 2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

and how do they sort out rubish from good suggestions? if they opened it now, they'd be swarmed with all sorts of random requests most of which would probably be wanting some compatibility with old work. 95% of people do not have adequate knowledge, but what they do is usually wrong idea of why something is like it is. let the people who know what they are doing sort it out.

it's like posting add "lost my cat, 10 million to one who finds it" and forget to put picture beside description. your phone will go crazy

your suggestion that you cannot support this holds as much water as people claiming "release documentation and we'll write drivers". amd did and result was very rare people can even discern what goes on, way of jumping on writing drivers. there is one more fact...

you don't support OpenGL either, it was done in same way by Khronos members, we just get new release at SIGGRAPH
          That's really unfair. AMD hired everybody that had the ability to code drivers for them. As they should have. People deserve to get paid. AMD wasn't wrong in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

In fact, I was more talking about publishing the proposals.
            What is being talked about, what was rejected and why.

A little like what they did for C++11/14/17.
            Only a few people can really get up to the point of having their proposal reviewed or even approved.
            However, the process can be seen by the public.

I am not talking about just anyone taking decisions.
            However, I'd like to see how it progresses.
            Maybe there would even be implementations started or even almost completed before the finish line.

Just like C++ compilers had a head start before C++11 was formally done.

Comment

Embargo lifted, ANNOUNCEMENTS - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21984
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X