Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Way Linux Desktop OpenGL Comparison Atop Fedora 22

Phoronix: 8-Way Linux Desktop OpenGL Comparison Atop Fedora 22

Beyond last week's Debian GNU/Hurd vs. GNU/Linux comparison, another set of updated benchmarks sought by some Phoronix Premium members have been a fresh cross-desktop environment comparison when running various games / OpenGL benchmarks across desktops / window managers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see KDE isn't consistently the slowest anymore. Impressive that GNOME wayland performed so nice. I'd like to switch to wayland on my LXQT setup but it seems Arch isn't really prepared for that just yet. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Comment

finally wayland is the fastest

Comment

So how does one install GNOME Wayland on Ubuntu?

Comment

can I presume you did turn off compositing for full screen windows in Cinnamon (settings, general) ?

Comment

It nice to see Gnome with Wayland performing so well.

Comment

Originally posted by brownsr View Post
              can I presume you did turn off compositing for full screen windows in Cinnamon (settings, general) ?
              Same question about KDE.

Comment

I tested the following desktops from their F22 packages with their out-of-the-box settings
                If it's the default setting, then yes, it's turned off. If not: Why isn't it the default setting? If the default settings are wrong someone should post bug reports (either for Fedora or the upstream projects).

Comment

Michael did you run these SDL2 games with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland? I had to do that at least on Arch, because otherwise it would use Xwayland to run it on the Gnome Wayland session. I did a manual benchmark between Xwayland/Weston and Gnome on Wayland a while back:
                  http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...834#post800834

For me Weston was even faster than Gnome. A developer was nice enough to explain why the speed up on Wayland was so dramatic in my case compared to X11.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  So how does one install GNOME Wayland on Ubuntu?
                  You just install Gnome 3.14 or 3.16 (better). The mutter package has the wayland compositor built in. All you need to do is to install xorg-server-xwayland and launch the Gnome on Wayland session from GDM.

EDIT: In the debian world the Xwayland package is just called xwayland:

Without that Gnome Wayland session will not start.
                  Last edited by blackout23; 03 August 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to see how Steam games, source based and not, perform on Unity vs other display managers.

Comment

Working...
                    X