8-Way Linux Desktop OpenGL Comparison Atop Fedora 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brownsr View Post
    can I presume you did turn off compositing for full screen windows in Cinnamon (settings, general) ?
    I presume the test was done with default setting from the distribution. The need to manually turn off compositing for full screen on Cinnamon means an issue with the implementation, that desktop environment should automatically do

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
      It would be interesting to see how Steam games, source based and not, perform on Unity vs other display managers.

the same as mate with compiz or gnome

Comment

gnome-wayland domination everywhere except furmakr. what is wrong with furmark?

Comment

Michael do you have power consumption/resource usage numbers to compare between the DEs? I'd like to compare Gnome + Wayland to the rest. Thanks.

Comment

REALLY interesting! My takeaway is this: Gnome has come a hell of a long way, Cinnamon is as slow as GNOME used to be (being a fork), and MATE still beats almost everthing on X. Given how well GNOME performed on Wayland I look forward to MATE's upcoming Wayland compatability. I suppose I could install Weston, set up a session with Wayland as the gtk3 backend, and run mate-gtk3 on Wayland now. Weston (or another Wayland compositor) has to catch up to compiz for having at least an "expo" option for this to become my main desktop though.

Comment

I wonder if with composition disabled there would be any difference between all those DE. After all that's the first thing to disable in settings to get more FPS in games.

Comment

Michael next time please include Enlightenment (I used it on Haisenbug, so F22 should also have packages)

Comment

Very interesting. Mostly because of Wayland. I wonder if Steam games work with Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                    I wonder if with composition disabled there would be any difference between all those DE. After all that's the first thing to disable in settings to get more FPS in games.
                    GNOME on Wayland is always composited, yet it wins most of these tests.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                      Tested, on KDE there is no difference between composition on and off. On any modern desktop, this trick comes from the past

Comment

Working...
                      X