Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Git Is Now Officially Mesa 11.0

Phoronix: Mesa Git Is Now Officially Mesa 11.0

While we knew it was coming given that Mesa core has gone from OpenGL 3.3 compliance to OpenGL 4.1, the commit finally happened this Saturday for making it Mesa 11.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

btw, does this mean the next Ubuntu 15.10/Wiley will feature out-of-the-box OGL 4.x support via Mesa 11.0 for radeonsi?

also, currently I'm using the oibaf ppa, but glxinfo still tells me only about OGL 3.3... is there any ETA for the oibaf ppa to expose the new OGL 4.1 version?

Comment

hagda

Oibaf or Ubuntu needs to use mesa compiled with at least llvm version 3.7 to get OpenGL 4.1 on radeonsi.

AFAIK they both still use llvm 3.6

Comment

Note that OpenGL 4.2 support is very close!

The only thing needed for 4.2 support is GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store which is marked as being in progress.
        Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL implementation into an easy to read HTML page.

Comment

There are patches by Dave Airlie for enabling GL_ARB_gpu-shader5 on Evergreen GPUs (Radeon HD 5000/6000)but they dont seem to have been merged upstream yet

Comment

what will they do once OGL is feature complete? optimise for performance/ bug smashing? DirectX State Tracker? OpenCL? HSA?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              what will they do once OGL is feature complete? optimise for performance/ bug smashing? DirectX State Tracker? OpenCL? HSA?
              Well, I doubt the DX state trackers will ever be officially supported, right now the DX9 state tracker is maintained by just 1 or 2 people. Besides that the rest of it is spot on plus Vulkan/SPIR-V etc,,,

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                what will they do once OGL is feature complete?
                Point is that OpenGL is traditionally never feature complete, as someone always introduce new extensions... What you have in Mesa implemented from OpenGL is minimum necessary stack that allows most of the games to run. There are also extensions unrelated/or not yet introduced as core extensions those that are not needed for version bump, but still some software might use them, etc...

Comment

Is that true that ARMA 3 will be ported to OSX/Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Note that OpenGL 4.2 support is very close!

The only thing needed for 4.2 support is GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store which is marked as being in progress.
                    It's actually been complete in core for quite a while, just no driver support. However the only driver with an implementation in the works is i965, so even though the "core" supports everything through GL 4.2, no actual driver will expose that. nvc0/radeonsi need buffers/images, i965 needs fp64/tess. [Unless the intel guys manage to get it all out before the feature freeze, but that seems unlikely.]

Comment

Working...
                    X