Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL Benchmarking On Linux Reaches New Heights

Phoronix: OpenGL Benchmarking On Linux Reaches New Heights

We have been covering the Linux benchmarking scene since 2004, but one area we have never really been satisfied with have been the OpenGL tests that are available. There are now plenty of free software games that are available for benchmarking, but with most of them being based around the open-source Quake 3 engine, they aren't that demanding upon the graphics processor. The ones generally good with stressing the graphics capabilities of the system are the id Software games (Doom 3, Quake 4, and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars) with native Linux clients. Under the workstation umbrella, there is just SPECViewPerf. On the Windows side though there are a number of OpenGL and DirectX games, tech demos, and other benchmarks. Thanks in part to the Phoronix Test Suite, however, we are starting to see a new era of OpenGL benchmarking that are able to stress the graphics card and are visually pleasing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These look so nice, especially the second one... thanks for making this possible to everyone involved!

Comment

i'm impressed again by you, michael. respect for all your involvement and energy that you're putting into pts and by doing that, inthe linux graphics world. it seems that the world has waited for someone like you who goes to the firms/enterprises/whatever and talks with them about linux (graphics). thanks! i don't want to know where we are in 10 years and look back and have to accept that has been able due to your involvement.

Comment

So you guys can get an idea for the intensity of Unigine and Lightsmark, I used the system_monitor module from the Phoronix Test Suite 1.2 Malvik. Basically just run:

MONITOR=all ./phoronix-test-suite benchmark <unigine-sanctuary || quake4 || lightsmark>
        Mostly to look at the GPU and CPU usage, but I included all of the sensor results FWIW.

This system was with a Radeon HD 4850 and Core 2 Duo. Let's start to see how the GPU usage looks with a test known to most people, Quake 4:

The GPU usage seems to average out between 70% and 80%.

Now let's look at lightsmark:

The GPU usage is now 85~100%.

Now on the (yet to be published) unigine-sanctuary test:

A constant 90%+.

Nice, eh?

(Pardon the lines extending the right side of the graph... A bug I see in 1.2)
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice to see proper benchmarks for linux finally. Just tried Lightsmark, I guess its meant to run in fullscreen since it disables mouse and all but it stayed in a undecorated window for me causing stuttering due to compiz. But still nice benchmark, and stylish. =)

Not sure if its intentional or not, but theres bit of hidden humor in whats new section of lightsmark website... =P

Comment

Ran the benchmark without Test suite and using auto detect settings of high quality, on dual xeon, se7525gp2 computer with 2gb ram and x1900xt sapphire radeon graphics card the end reports average frames per second was around 91.xx ...
            (Catalyst settings were 6x AA quality, 16x Aniso and A.I setting 2)

Comment

Oh sure Michael, sneak this one up on me. Can I finally get a reply to this thread? http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10230 :P

Comment

Looks realy cool, but for the Unigine demo i get:

Code:
                /Desktop/Unigine_v0.4_Sanctuary$ /sanctuary_opengl_windowed_1024x768.sh
                Locking assertion failure.  Backtrace:
                #0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb719d767]
                #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xb719d8b1]
                #2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0xfd) [0xb71ed1bd]
                #3 ./libUnigine_v0.4.so(ExtGetDriverData+0xd0) [0xb7cc6670]
                #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xb719d81e]
                #2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb71ec518]
                #3 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XFreeGC+0x26) [0xb71c89d6]
                #4 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XCloseDisplay+0x5f) [0xb71c1f2f]
                #5 ./libUnigine_v0.4.so(ExtGetDriverData+0x124) [0xb7cc66c4]
                main: ../../src/xcb_io.c:350: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.
                Aborted
                with Xubuntu 8.04.1 and an ATI radeon 9800pro.. any ideas to fix this ?

strange thing.. it works with the newest wine version.. at least one impressive opengl app running on my system with wine

Comment

Originally posted by Marox View Post
                  Looks realy cool, but for the Unigine demo i get:

Code:
                  /Desktop/Unigine_v0.4_Sanctuary$ /sanctuary_opengl_windowed_1024x768.sh
                  #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xb719d8b1]
                  #2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0xfd) [0xb71ed1bd]
                  #3 ./libUnigine_v0.4.so(ExtGetDriverData+0xd0) [0xb7cc6670]
                  #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xb719d81e]
                  #2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb71ec518]
                  #3 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XFreeGC+0x26) [0xb71c89d6]
                  #4 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XCloseDisplay+0x5f) [0xb71c1f2f]
                  #5 ./libUnigine_v0.4.so(ExtGetDriverData+0x124) [0xb7cc66c4]
                  main: ../../src/xcb_io.c:350: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.
                  Aborted
                  with Xubuntu 8.04.1 and an ATI radeon 9800pro.. any ideas to fix this ?

strange thing.. it works with the newest wine version.. at least one impressive opengl app running on my system with wine
                  As mentioned in the article, the new version of Unigine isn't released yet. Once that is out, then if you have a problem like that, scream. The current demo is quite old.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Doom 3 FTP server not responding...means no full test suite

Just a note that if you run "phoronix-test-suite install-all" for the version 1.0.5 release, it can't connect to ftp.idsoftware.com to download the Doom 3 code. It doesn't seen to have a sensible timeout ("--timeout" option for wget) and if I kill the wget, it aborts the whole install with an error (it should skip that package and continue surely?).

So at this moment in time, I can't see how anyone can install the full test suite :-(

Comment

Working...
                    X