No announcement yet.

Freedreno Driver Continues Working For Open-Source Qualcomm Driver Independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Driver Continues Working For Open-Source Qualcomm Driver Independence

Phoronix: Freedreno Driver Continues Working For Open-Source Qualcomm Driver Independence

Rob Clark has shared a new blog post today about "happy (gpu) independence day" with his work on the open-source Freedreno driver for freeing Qualcomm Linux users of the Adreno binary blob...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Rob, since I know that you will look here and I probably wouldn't remember to check your blog for replies if I posted a question there....

I have a couple of those dragonboard 410c's for a project I'm working on, which requires Android. The problem I'm facing, is that the CAF adv7533 driver is a worthless piece of junk. Unless I can figure out all the magic timing numbers that are poorly documented or buried in a maze of some kind of math I haven't seen since second year comp sci, I'm stuck with 720 or 1080p for output resolution, while my HDMI monitor is actually 1280x800.

I notice that the upstream adv7533 driver is a lot more complete and handles the monitor's EDID. But of course, that driver is tied in with upstream drm, which works with your Freedreno, whereas the CAF works with Qualcomm's "holy crap" driver stack.

What would you suggest as the most painless way to get Android working at native resolution on this hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Hi Rob, since I know that you will look here and I probably wouldn't remember to check your blog for replies if I posted a question there....

I have a couple of those dragonboard 410c's for a project I'm working on, which requires Android. The problem I'm facing, is that the CAF adv7533 driver is a worthless piece of junk. Unless I can figure out all the magic timing numbers that are poorly documented or buried in a maze of some kind of math I haven't seen since second year comp sci, I'm stuck with 720 or 1080p for output resolution, while my HDMI monitor is actually 1280x800.

I notice that the upstream adv7533 driver is a lot more complete and handles the monitor's EDID. But of course, that driver is tied in with upstream drm, which works with your Freedreno, whereas the CAF works with Qualcomm's "holy crap" driver stack.

What would you suggest as the most painless way to get Android working at native resolution on this hardware?
      hmm.. well given that mainline kernel situation is reasonably good on db410c, and we have initial (barely works, but should improve shortly) android support for freedreno, maybe using freedreno + upstream kernel + android combo is an option in the pretty near future? Seems like overkill, but then again I've seen the downstream "holy crap" stack, so maybe not such a bad option.

Comment

hmm, I had already replied to this.. but somehow I don't see my reply..

anyways, I had suggested that, while there is still some debugging needed, we basically have android + freedreno + something pretty close to an upstream kernel on ifc6410.. seems a bit of a round-about-way to get a sane display but then again I've seen the downstream display driver stack..

Comment

Wow, that actually sounds brilliant. I'm definitely going to look into this route. Any pointers you can suggest for me to get started on it? Would the code I need be in your git? I mean obviously to study and hack on, since it doesn't sound like its quite ready to go.

Comment

Wow, that actually sounds brilliant. I'm definitely going to look into this route. Any pointers you can suggest for me to get started on it? Would the code I need be in your git? I mean obviously to study and hack on, since it doesn't sound like its quite ready to go.
            The GSoC student has a trello page at: https://trello.com/b/bIXu6QL6/freedreno-android and a blog: https://varadgautam.wordpress.com/

perhaps best to ping him on #freedreno .. at some point I plan to try to replicate his setup (probably for xperia x3 once I have a kernel and panel driver for this thing) but I'm not that far along yet..

Comment

Thanks Rob, I'll be in touch with him.

Comment

Working...
              X