Mesa 10.6.0 Officially Released While Still Lacking OpenGL 4.0+ Compliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Nouveau needs help in the reclocking department. OpenGl 4.0 can wait, we need the reclocking.

At least Nvidia users have a properly working proprietary driver to use. As an AMD user I don't really have much of a choice but game in Windows. Neither the proprietary, nor the open source driver bring the same level of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
      Neither the proprietary, nor the open source driver bring the same level of performance.
      I actually think Catalyst have very similar if not the same OpenGL performance on Linux and Windows .

Difference only came when someone trying to compare Direct3D perfromance vs OpenGL of some games Particulary those games and engines which are tested for performance, more if not only upon nVidia's OpenGL implementation, some of those even depends on multithreaded hacks around nVidia driver to bring some more performance comparable to DX counterpart which is of course without hacks, etc...
      Last edited by dungeon; 15 June 2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The "native OpenGL vs wine nine" difference is a game engine issue not a driver issue -- both paths go through the radeonsi driver AFAIK.
        I do think the main difference is shader compilation optimisations.

D3D9 shaders come precompiled and already optimised. Game writters have checked the perf against it and adapt their shaders for best output.
        Then with GLSL, the result of the compilation differs for every driver.
        Valve do convert their shaders from D3D9 to GLSL, thus we can believe the incoming shaders are less optimised.
        Moreover the current Mesa shader compilator is far from perfect (though it may be better with NIR).

In the end, llvm radeon backend is much happier with gallium nine shaders than mesa shaders, and gives better output.
        There are exceptions of course, for example Unigine Heaven GLSL runs faster than Unigine Heaven D3D9 on nine.
        Perhaps its shaders are better optimised by Mesa compiler than the precompiled D3D9 ones.

Comment

I have right for mine non developer theory too , that those severe performance penalties in some cases comes from inefficient use of vertex buffers across APIs and drivers: but fifty-fifty are quilty engines and drivers, as issue does not always happen

I even think that nine is faster then wine, mostly because nine seems to does not touch somehow those - when opposite case happen, then wine or native became faster

And this is not just about opensorce drivers i am looking at you fglrx too One can always found one or more sloooow VBO cases on these drivers (just set up all possible combinations, then move camera around and watch cpu/gpu load), but probably there is just tiny chance on nvidia driver.

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
          There are exceptions of course, for example Unigine Heaven GLSL runs faster than Unigine Heaven D3D9 on nine.
          How much that is faster? I didn't tried, but if everything is right on both drivers i can guess around 10%
          Last edited by dungeon; 15 June 2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            @haagach

Do you have some trace of your CS:GO run somewhere? The one with reproducable artifacts.
            No. I can make one, but it will probably be huge because I don't think I can predict where the artifacts will be and how to provoke them so I just have to walk around a bit until I see one..

Comment

Ah OK don't bother then, those white artifacts probably has nothing to do with llvm but who knows... to me those looks like classic z-fighting

Only white color make it look so awfull

Well, maybe someone has idea how to make z-fighting got alpha color or something?

But if that happens only on that map, maybe map designers can fix that too
              Last edited by dungeon; 16 June 2015, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                to me those looks like classic z-fighting
                Possible. From a previous video I made, I screenshotted those two consecutive frames: https://imgur.com/a/UFejD

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  No. I can make one, but it will probably be huge because I don't think I can predict where the artifacts will be and how to provoke them so I just have to walk around a bit until I see one..
                  I don't know if it helps but you could try the Zoo map from Operation Bloodhound. When I tried CS:GO yesterday (Radeon HD7870, but still mesa 10.5.7 on Arch Linux) I had instantly rendering issues while the other map I tried (Agency) worked pretty well.

Comment

I wonder if the r600 driver will gain a bit of performance with this release. Or if it will in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X