Mesa 10.6.0 Officially Released While Still Lacking OpenGL 4.0+ Compliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.6.0 Officially Released While Still Lacking OpenGL 4.0+ Compliance

Phoronix: Mesa 10.6.0 Officially Released While Still Lacking OpenGL 4.0+ Compliance

While it's coming a bit behind schedule, Mesa 10.6 has been released today as the newest version of the user-space, open-source graphics drivers for Linux and other platforms. Officially only OpenGL 3.3 support is there, but many OpenGL 4.x extensions were implemented over the past three months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We all knew it wouldn't be included but it is still a bit of a disappointment seeing OpenGL 4.0 + not being fully implemented. Basically this puts Linux gaming in the clutches of a closed source driver of a single company (Nvidia), considering the lack of any real competition. Here's to hoping we'll finally have proper OpenGL 4.2 support come fall (and maybe an easy noob friendly gui ). It is fact that in the last year there has been a lot of progress and as an AMD user I've seen the open source driver catch up quite a bit to Catalyst, so kudos to all contributers.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
      Here's to hoping we'll finally have proper OpenGL 4.2 support come fall (and maybe an easy noob friendly gui )
      What would you need a GUI for? AFAIK 90% of the settings are in game settings...
      But here's to hoping for OGL 4+ too

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        What would you need a GUI for? AFAIK 90% of the settings are in game settings...
        But here's to hoping for OGL 4+ too
        I can tell from experience that a lot of in game settings for ported games don't work. I have personally played at least a dozen games where they are broken. It's pretty bad right now. Additionally, even if most games were flawless, they still don't have the ability to choose the AA mode that I prefer. I would like to see a control panel I can use to override in game settings.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
          We all knew it wouldn't be included but it is still a bit of a disappointment seeing OpenGL 4.0 + not being fully implemented. Basically this puts Linux gaming in the clutches of a closed source driver of a single company (Nvidia)
          For me it's not really the lack of OpenGL 4. Sure, it's disappointing, but few games require it. The bigger problem for me is that SI (radeon) just doesn't work well. E.g. Counter Strike GO has a lot of graphical glitches, and even GPU hangs and the performance is noticeably worse on the native OpenGL version than on the wine version with nine: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Cou...ment-107507697

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
            The bigger problem for me is that SI (radeon) just doesn't work well. E.g. Counter Strike GO has a lot of graphical glitches, and even GPU hangs and the performance is noticeably worse on the native OpenGL version than on the wine version with nine: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Cou...ment-107507697
            I thought the rendering issues were largely gone now, although hard to be sure because the bug reporters haven't had a chance to try with recent llvm. Is anyone here running CS:GO on latest stack who can comment ?

The "native OpenGL vs wine nine" difference is a game engine issue not a driver issue -- both paths go through the radeonsi driver AFAIK.
            Test signature

Comment

Another thought I had in regards to performance is CPU limiting. Maybe the native OpenGL version has a bigger CPU overhead? I haven't really looked at it, but on the native linux version radeontop shows that the GPU usage is NOT near 100%, but with nine it shows very close to 100% usage.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I thought the rendering issues were largely gone now, although hard to be sure because the bug reporters haven't had a chance to try with recent llvm. Is anyone here running CS:GO on latest stack who can comment ?
                I've made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3VI1HSjGEw

llvm-svn 239668 (after the amd gpu rename)
                mesa-git 4d35eef326e49cc8da50879d30a1c5088d4775e1 "Handle LLVM backend rename"
                Should be up to date enough?

The tearing is probably from PRIME, but the rendering issues I mean are like this stuff at 5:00. Just textures flickering completely white or random lines.

Comment

Excellent news!! Is it possible to upgrade system to these new drivers!?

Comment

Mesa 11 2015, the year of the Mesa

Comment

Working...
                    X