Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Input Drivers Coming To Linux 3.20

Phoronix: New Input Drivers Coming To Linux 3.20

There's new input drivers for Linux 3.20 and improvements to the existing input drivers with this next kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

need more than just drivers

It's good that more low-level drivers for new devices is being added to the kernel, but it's unfortunate that the userspace interface for many devices is still in the dark ages of 1980s DOS. Accessing input devices through a sysfs interface means shipping a plethora of userspace (I2C and IIO based) drivers to be manually configured by the user, just like selecting your Hercules video card, Soundblaster audio card, or Brother printer driver used to be back in the dark old days.

Good work. Still needs more work before it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
      It's good that more low-level drivers for new devices is being added to the kernel, but it's unfortunate that the userspace interface for many devices is still in the dark ages of 1980s DOS. Accessing input devices through a sysfs interface means shipping a plethora of userspace (I2C and IIO based) drivers to be manually configured by the user, just like selecting your Hercules video card, Soundblaster audio card, or Brother printer driver used to be back in the dark old days.

Good work. Still needs more work before it's ready.
      Agreed and I sure remember the days of DOS when you had to access low level features through intxx syscalls within your code. There needs to be a standard driver interface model that ALL drivers use when interacting with the kernel and the devices, much like what Windows drivers use. A side effect of this is that the blobs (eg NVIDIA or fglrx) can share more code between more platforms.
      Last edited by DeepDayze; 11 February 2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        Agreed and I sure remember the days of DOS when you had to access low level features through intxx syscalls within your code. There needs to be a standard driver interface model that ALL drivers use when interacting with the kernel and the devices, much like what Windows drivers use. A side effect of this is that the blobs (eg NVIDIA or fglrx) can share more code between more platforms.
        I've been told that's something that's never going to happen. It's unfortunate because I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I've been told that's something that's never going to happen. It's unfortunate because I agree with you.
          You never know. Might be next on the systemd list Could even be a completely new kernel addition dealing directly with sd and bypassing all the legacy crap.

Comment

Working...
          X