A New VIA OpenChrome Gallium3D Driver Is Under Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    I do not believe these cards are 3D capable.
    The GPUs definitely support 3D. They support up to Direct3D 9. Having a Mesa driver to support OpenGL 3.x and some newer bits from OpenGL 4.x would be great for these systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      We use it with ThinPro (Linux!) and xfreerdp (= freerdp?).

I do not believe these cards are 3D capable. We had issue's hooking these up to two screens. Under those circumstances, the redrawing speeds of these start to go downhill.

But that could be the thinpro not (fully?) supporting the 'color card'. Our external IT supplier mentions that these do not have a graphics card, but a simple color card (no idea what it means).
      That's fully 2d use, so the gallium driver (this topic ) won't directly help any. It's many orders of magnitude more difficult than a 2d driver like unichrome and openchrome, so waiting for it + glamor will be a long wait. Essentially if you have lacking 2d accel, you will want to open a bug for openchrome (or uni* if you use that one), perhaps hire someone to look at it if you care enough.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        That's fully 2d use, so the gallium driver (this topic ) won't directly help any. It's many orders of magnitude more difficult than a 2d driver like unichrome and openchrome, so waiting for it + glamor will be a long wait. Essentially if you have lacking 2d accel, you will want to open a bug for openchrome (or uni* if you use that one), perhaps hire someone to look at it if you care enough.
        We currently use the HP distribution ThinPro. I fully updated it to the latest version.

For all I care, these things are severely overpriced for what they do. I'd rather have those intel NUC's with decent GPU.

Comment

That's fully 2d use, so the gallium driver (this topic ) won't directly help any. It's many orders of magnitude more difficult than a 2d driver like unichrome and openchrome, so waiting for it + glamor will be a long wait.
          Bullshit.

Getting full and proper display support is much much harder than getting 3d. It's only for hypermaxxed devices that it is hard, as those things are way too unstable for their own good.

And i am amazed that people still would argue differently today.
          Last edited by libv; 10 January 2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Why is it so?
            What is so difficult about display support? Driving PLLs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
              Why is it so?
              What is so difficult about display support? Driving PLLs?
              Have you done either?

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                Bullshit.

Getting full and proper display support is much much harder than getting 3d. It's only for hypermaxxed devices that it is hard, as those things are way too unstable for their own good.

And i am amazed that people still would argue differently today.
                Exhibit A: working via 2d in 2005.
                Exhibit B: no working via 3d in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                  Bullshit.
                  And thats the reason why display support comes early and 2D and 3D comes much much later and need month to get stable?

Comment

Exhibit A: working via 2d in 2005.
                    Exhibit B: no working via 3d in 2015.

Those two statements are logically unrelated and unrelated to the discussion.

Reply to exhibit A: James only now added patches to get DVI on VT1632 working.
                    Reply to exhibit B: There was a working VIA 3d driver since 2003, but nobody cared enough, so it was thrown out of mesa 3 years ago.

Surely you can do better than that, especially to the man who pioneered modesetting, and who did so on VIA hardware, and who REs ARM GPUs these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      And thats the reason why display support comes early and 2D and 3D comes much much later and need month to get stable?
                      Erm. Limited display support comes early. You can easily create a 3d driver by using most of the mesa software fallbacks as well. Neither is a measure of how difficult either task is.

Comment

Working...
                      X