Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Patches Published For Gallium3D's Direct3D 9 Support

Phoronix: 53 Patches Published For Gallium3D's Direct3D 9 Support

Axel Davy has unleashed a big set of patches to improve the Gallium Nine state tracker that provides the experimental Direct3D 9.0 support on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nine rocks, I really hope to see it merged in wine.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Before getting too excited, the 53 patches published by Axel on Wednesday mostly equate to bug-fixes.
      I usually am more excited with better reliability than half baked new features.

Comment

I am equally excited with bug fixes as well as new features, normally.
        But the best features are useless when they don't work.

Anyway, does anybody know why the WINE devs don't use this state tracker?
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Nine rocks, I really hope to see it merged in wine.
          IMO wine devs are wrong with their "all or nothing" point of view. They should do best thing possible without chasing pointless perfectionism which does more harm than good.

EDIT:
          @Adarion: because these patches wont work on other systems, only on linux. Thats their motive for no interest. Rather dumb reason i would say.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
            @Adarion: because these patches wont work on other systems, only on linux. Thats their motive for no interest. Rather dumb reason i would say.
            Umm, okay? I wasn't aware that this is Linux only. I thought mesa in general runs on all sorts of unixoid OS. But even if, they could make it a possible option. So users can decide during compiletime or by a config file to use this state tracker or not.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Its Linux Only, one one driver can utilize is (the FOSS-Nvidia driver is from my POV a joke and never worked for me). So they decide still to write against Nvidia GL *scnr*

I dont have a problem that they prefer the OpenGL Wrapper but i don't understand why they block the option.

Comment

New Nine doesn't work with radeon drivers, because radeon drivers miss DRI3, and since recently Nine is based on DRI3 and does not work with DRI2 :-(

So until someone implements DRI3 for radeon it's useless... There is a patch from iXit, but I've tried it and it's very buggy. Basically unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  I am equally excited with bug fixes as well as new features, normally.
                  But the best features are useless when they don't work.

IIRC, I think it comes down to Wine devs not wanting two different ways of dealing with Direct3D...OpenGL to Direct3D translation and native Direct3D.

Furthermore, while D39 helps boost performance and improve some games, it can cause breakage and compatability issues with others. For instance, I remember seeing a youtube video showcasing Gallium 9 Wine running the 2013 Tomb Raider game and it rendered graphics glitches and artifacts on screen while the vanilla Wine didn't, although the framerate was lower. Lastly, it doesn't work with Intel since supposedly they don't have a Gallium driver nor the proprietary Nvidia and AMD Catalyst drivers. I heard it also requires DRI3 which may be broken in the FOSS Radeon driver so it doesn't work even on that and Nouveau driver performance compared to the proprietary Nvidia accelerated driver is a joke (no disrespect to the fine work devs are doing at reverse engineering complex Nvidia hardware).

With all that said, I welcome the new 50+ fixes and in general think better Wine gaming performance is a good thing. Now Wine devs need to get working on Direct3D 10 and 11 because virtually no new games, with the exception of some low-end Indie games that probably already have a Linux port, are using DX 9 anymore. Going forward, Wine will become less and less compatible with modern games requiring the new graphics APIs if support doesn't get implemented.

Command Stream (CSMT) is what I use reguarly. It is fully supported in Crossover 14 (which I also use) and CSMT-patched Wine builds are readily available in PlayOnLinux to download; Furthermore, CSMT works with all drivers and offers comparable performance to Gallium 9 with r600 and RadeonSI when coupled with the faster proprietary drivers.
                  Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 08 January 2015, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                    because these patches wont work on other systems, only on linux. Thats their motive for no interest. Rather dumb reason i would say.
                    One of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                    X