Raspberry Pi's Gallium3D Driver Could Now Run Significantly Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's Gallium3D Driver Could Now Run Significantly Faster

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's Gallium3D Driver Could Now Run Significantly Faster

Eric Anholt, the lead developer developer behind the Broadcom VC4 Mesa/Gallium3D driver stack for supporting the Raspberry Pi, has announced a new performance achievement...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg2NjQ

Eric Anholt, as a wise man use to say shut up and take my money

RIP Fry

Comment

So he just caches buffer allocations so frequent glBufferData calls with similar size can immediately be satisfied?

Comment

Other drivers

Is it possible to adapt this to all the other free drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
          Precisely what i was thinking...but i wonder if it wasn't already done in Radeon,etc. if it could work.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
            i think similar solutions were in the works at least a year ago. not sure what came out of it though.

Comment

Actually glxgears is good benchmark here.

After all its optimization aiming at lowering driver overhead, and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                i think similar solutions were in the works at least a year ago. not sure what came out of it though.
                Both radeon and nouveau have similar userspace buffer caching mechanisms in place since a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  Actually glxgears is good benchmark here.

After all its optimization aiming at lowering driver overhead, and nothing more.
                  glxgears is what I'd call a "microbenchmark", testing only a very static workload designed to pressure one particular subsystem of the stack. Good to prove the CPU usage for BO allocation went down quite a lot, but doesn't say a lot about the impact on more relevant workloads (like your desktop, your games or your OpenCL accelerated programs) where a larger part of the graphics stack is utilised. So you're right to say that the benchmark is good, but be careful with the conclusions you draw from it.

Comment

I really wish Raspbian would start packaging this driver so we can play around with it. I've tried to compile it several times but no success.

Comment

Working...
                    X