No announcement yet.

Mesa 10.4 Officially Released With Direct3D 9 State Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=darkbasic;459076]Here it is: http://www.linuxsystems.it/2014/09/w...e-vs-catalyst/

Thanks for that. So it looks like Gallium Nine patched Wine on FOSS drivers is neck in neck with Catalyst with a CSMT patched Wine. I imagine CSMT comes out really strong with the proprietary Nvidia driver.

The advantage to CSMT is that it's already built into Crossover (if you own that like me) plus is easily accessible from PlayOnLinux, which has multiple CSMT builds of Wine to choose from (you just have to add the CSMT="enabled" registry key), and works with Intel and the faster AMD and Nvidia proprietary drivers.

That said, CSMT and Gallium Nine aren't perfect. In a few games, CSMT and Gallium Nine have to be disabled because they can cause rendering issues or artifacts. This is probably partly why the Wine team doesn't want to merge these patches into mainline. At least PlayOnLinux and Crossover make it easy to choose which games in their own Wine prefixes have CSMT enabled or disabled.

Comment

Is it possible to use SDL2 with mesa d3d9 or is there special support from sdl team required?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Is it possible to use SDL2 with mesa d3d9 or is there special support from sdl team required?
        We have some experiments with that. It would need some more work to make it solid, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
          Thanks for info, didn't read sources but patch name says is for WINE 1.7.31, will it work with 1.7.33 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            I haven't compiled wine myself so I don't know exactly how long it takes to compile on a relative mainstream (read: nothing with a K or an E in the model number) CPU, but some people don't want to spend hours compiling a given piece of software. Furthermore most people dont want to have to update it themselves-- thats just annoying, also they may not be familiar with patching and compiling even to begin with. They may not have the time or energy to deal with debugging any of the possible, sometimes arcane, error messages make will shootout.

At least with PPA's its precompiled and gets auto-updated as long as you keep running apt-get.
            Hours ?!? no ofense but what CPU are you still using or when was last time you compiled anything ?

It takes minutes, even in AMD APUs !

...and BTW, not all distros use PPAs

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              But is it possible that NO ONE publishes WHERE is the info/files or HOW can WINE be patched MANUALLY to work with Gallium Nine instead of talk about lame....actually...shitty PPAs ?

What's wrong with old fashion way to patch manually and compile yourself ?!?
              Nothing is wrong with that, what's wrong with precompiled stuff? it's (obviously) good to have both options

Comment

Thanks for info, didn't read sources but patch name says is for WINE 1.7.31, will it work with 1.7.33 ?
                I'd just make my own patch using git diff against wine upstream.

Comment

Hours ?!? no ofense but what CPU are you still using or when was last time you compiled anything ?

It takes minutes, even in AMD APUs !

...and BTW, not all distros use PPAs
                  Some real numbers from `qlop -tgH wine` on my Gentoo system with i7-3770 CPU:
                  wine: Fri Mar 28 17:43:57 2014: 11 minutes, 34 seconds
                  wine: Mon Jun 2 14:22:02 2014: 13 minutes, 55 seconds
                  wine: Thu Oct 30 16:12:49 2014: 24 minutes, 4 seconds
                  wine: Mon Dec 8 23:17:50 2014: 14 minutes, 55 seconds

Note that the huge variations are because the updates are performed in the background with PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 and other stuff happening in the same time. Also, it's my work computer running the stable branch so I rarely keyword a new wine snapshot.

Comment

Nothing's fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86583
                    Also with latest kernels my desktop looks terrible:

P.S. VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Comment

Working...
                    X