No announcement yet.

AMD & Intel Work Hard To Fix Linux Driver Issues For Civilization: Beyond Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the past I contacted with AMD developers few times eg. with Pierre Boudier and didn't notice any problems to get some support from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Not in the near future and i doubt that we see it in the far distance. For this, Mantle is to deep involved with D3D.
      What? How is Mantle involved with D3D? It's a seperate API just like OpenGL is.
      I don't want to make any guesses regarding Mantle on Linux (though, I hope we will see it very soon to compete with DX12 on Windows), but Khronos did say that OpenGL Next will take a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
        So if my application in the past required Clutter to run properly, and the AMD driver didnt work, you expect me to change anything about the implementation, but it runs on intel and nvidia just perfect? Game Makers shouldnt have to make driver adjustements, thats the fucking job of the graphic cards vendors. The problem exists FOR the game dev because the driver is UNABLE what other drivers just do fine. So WHOS responsible for this? I wouldnt want to do any special optimization for AMD, too. Look there are now so many games with amd optimizations it makes me sick! At Nvidia and Intel nearly everything JUST works.
        So if my website worked in the past on IE, and Firefox/Chrome didn't work, you expect me to change anything about the implementation, but it runs on IE just perfect? Web developers shouldnt have to make browser adjustements, thats the fucking job of the browser vendors. The problem exists FOR the website dev because the browser is UNABLE what other browsers just do fine. So WHOS responsible for this? I wouldnt want to do any special optimization for Chrome, too. Look there are now so many websites with Chrome optimizations it makes me sick! At IE nearly everything JUST works.

Note that unlike what gotwig seems to think, Aspyr clearly said that both Intel AND AMD wasn't working. It's only NVidia that's the outlier here. And the IE comparison isn't actually that wrong - just like IE, Nvidia's OpenGL drivers accept a lot of non-conformant code, in the name of making things "easier" on the developer, and "embracing and extending and extinquishing" the competition, who can't keep up with the non-standard behaviors that aren't documented. IE was also the clearly undisputed leader among browsers at one point, that everyone developed against. Just like NVidia.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 07 December 2014, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          What? How is Mantle involved with D3D? It's a seperate API just like OpenGL is.
          Its not. It depends on HLSL the Shading Language from Microsoft and the Shader Compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            So if my website worked in the past on IE, and Firefox/Chrome didn't work, you expect me to change anything about the implementation, but it runs on IE just perfect? Web developers shouldnt have to make browser adjustements, thats the fucking job of the browser vendors. The problem exists FOR the website dev because the browser is UNABLE what other browsers just do fine. So WHOS responsible for this? I wouldnt want to do any special optimization for Chrome, too. Look there are now so many websites with Chrome optimizations it makes me sick! At IE nearly everything JUST works.

Web developer is responsible, of course. You don't seriously claim to be so young you didn't see the time when web devs were targeting the broken HTML+JS implementation in IE6 instead of the closer to correct implementation in Mozilla browsers? This resulted in pages that now depend on end-users to keep using Windows XP because that's the last Windows that had IE6. I guess you also think it was non-IE browser devs' fault they didn't support ActiveX which a lot of web developers wanted to use because it was available in the bundled browser on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              Its not. It depends on HLSL the Shading Language from Microsoft and the Shader Compiler.
              That is probably easily fixable. AMD has given Mantle on Linux a "maybe" already.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Web developer is responsible, of course. You don't seriously claim to be so young you didn't see the time when web devs were targeting the broken HTML+JS implementation in IE6 instead of the closer to correct implementation in Mozilla browsers? This resulted in pages that now depend on end-users to keep using Windows XP because that's the last Windows that had IE6. I guess you also think it was non-IE browser devs' fault they didn't support ActiveX which a lot of web developers wanted to use because it was available in the bundled browser on Windows?
                Umm, did you miss that i was exactly copying what the original poster said with obvious sarcasm to make a point?

Comment

Working...
                X