Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.x Support For Mesa Still Inching Along

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenGL 4.x Support For Mesa Still Inching Along

    Phoronix: OpenGL 4.x Support For Mesa Still Inching Along

    While there hasn't been much to report on lately with regard to major OpenGL 4.x advancements, the OpenGL 4.0+ support is still being worked on by the open-source developers wishing to expose GL4 compliance within the Intel, Radeon, and Nouveau Linux graphics drivers, among other potential Mesa/Gallium3D drivers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyNDg

  • #2
    Is there any chance to implement OpenGL 4.x on top of OpenGL-Next? Suppose -Next is released early enough.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      Is there any chance to implement OpenGL 4.x on top of OpenGL-Next? Suppose -Next is released early enough.
      I'm thinking NV will probably implement it within their closed driver.

      While AMD will continue to merge fglrx with opensource. Possibly adding the best of both into a new binary driver.

      Comment


      • #4
        Why is this pretty much down to Intel? What's their particular interest in furthering Mesa?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Why is this pretty much down to Intel? What's their particular interest in furthering Mesa?
          They have a open soure driver only (while nvidia has a closed source driver only and AMD has both) ? So they can't say "use our closed source driver, it has OpenGL 4.X" like the competition is doing.

          Comment


          • #6
            In other news, Marek recently landed 3 new OpenGL 4.0 features (parts of shader model 5) for r600 authored by Glenn Kennard. Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              Why is this pretty much down to Intel?
              Because they have largest graphics driver team on Linux.

              Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              What's their particular interest in furthering Mesa?
              They using it on Android and they have big plans for mobile CPU market. At least it's reason why extensions included in OpenGL ES implemented first.

              There also was other Linux-based mobile OSes Intel participated of course.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                They using it on Android and they have big plans for mobile CPU market. At least it's reason why extensions included in OpenGL ES implemented first.
                That's fairly interesting. Obviously they're getting their ass handed to them by ARM, but they've started to punch well above their weight by leveraging their fabrication advantage. I have a Lenovo Miix 2 which, while having it's problems, is a fairly capable x86 tablet and I like it a lot (good for playing Hearthstone!).

                It's good to know they're using Mesa in their implementation in a market previously dominated by chip manufacturers who only do drivers as binary blobs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hope to see OpenGL 4.0 support soon.

                  http://mesamatrix.net/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    That's fairly interesting. Obviously they're getting their ass handed to them by ARM, but they've started to punch well above their weight by leveraging their fabrication advantage. I have a Lenovo Miix 2 which, while having it's problems, is a fairly capable x86 tablet and I like it a lot (good for playing Hearthstone!).

                    It's good to know they're using Mesa in their implementation in a market previously dominated by chip manufacturers who only do drivers as binary blobs.
                    Yet Qualcomm chips are probably the most popular right now, and their GLES3 implementation in their Android blob is completely broken.

                    Nvidia is showing mobile what a GPU in your pocket can do. Intel (should) be doing the same, really. It is sad how few x86 tablets there are that aren't overpriced.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X