Direct3D 9 Support Might Land Within Mainline Mesa 3D Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
    There IS documentation around: Wikipedia lists 11, AMD itself lists 9 games and one game engine with MANTLE support. Hexus.net reported in june 17 games with confirmed Mantle support. I don't think that any of these companies was able to do that without docs. It may not be completely public. But there is AMD's clear intent to make it public, so it's probably just a matter of asking?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Even Intel asked for Mantle documentation and AMD told them to take a long walk off a short pier.

If Intel can't get it yet there's no way Mesa devs are going to get it.
      Did they? I thought AMD said they just needed more time to make it public or something, but I don't really recall how that played out.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
        To quote from the commit message of the later removed Direct3D 10/11 COM state tracker:

It's just a logical follow-up question: When will we see Mantle? or Metal on Linux?

For completness sake: Is anybody out there still interested in glide?
        Probabily we'll see OpenGL-next earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
          Hopefully if D3D9 merged into Mesa and remain here for long time it's might motivate VMWare a bit to release source of their D3D1X state tracker.

Same thinking here. The best here is AMD anyway, but Nvidia has something good to: I like the new open ABI (maybe Nine can be used with closed drivers in the future as they will share components with the open ones). I like also that you can switch drivers on the fly.

Comment

What really needs to be done is get this into Intel drivers. AMD and Nvidia are big fish but Intel is the biggest fish. Gallium-Nine needs to make its way to Intel.

Comment

If proprietary drivers want to have native D3D9 support, they can provide their own libd3dadapter9.so.0, which is the library that Wine loads for native D3D9.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                If proprietary drivers want to have native D3D9 support, they can provide their own libd3dadapter9.so.0, which is the library that Wine loads for native D3D9.
                I never though about it this way... good point. Eventually this file could be provieded even on OS X or by non-gallium Intel drivers.

Comment

Is there an overview of how the gallium9 is implemented from both the gallium side and wine side?

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  What really needs to be done is get this into Intel drivers. AMD and Nvidia are big fish but Intel is the biggest fish. Gallium-Nine needs to make its way to Intel.
                  I was under the impression that intel would already support gallium9 since it uses mesa? I guess I'm wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    I was under the impression that intel would already support gallium9 since it uses mesa? I guess I'm wrong?
                    Officially supported Intel drivers (i915 and i965) do not support gallium, so not Gallium Nine won't work on them.

Unsupported (by Intel) ilo (also known as i965g) can run simple Nine demos, but driver need much more work to be able run normal apps. Same goes for i915g, but not tested yet at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                      Call me paranoid or whatever but i can't imagine Miscrosoft isn't trying to prevent such things (with success)...
                      It's hard to believe MS will care about a few open source users running D3D9 if they don't care about the money-making machine VMWare using the current D3D10 API. Especially considering VMWare is one of their main competitors.

Comment

Working...
                      X