• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Oh my, another one...

I know what the official statement is. It doesn't contain the number 5. And yes, you can guess and speculate what you want, I dont care.
    If they say it is 5, they will lose element of surprise for candle people .

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Official is this So how you read it

So i also guess they will present something we all know will be features of new API, if not API itself .
    Oh my, another one...

I know what the official statement is. It doesn't contain the number 5. And yes, you can guess and speculate what you want, I dont care.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Assuming they these "journalists" are not creating these rumors themselves. To many assumtions for me tbh.
    Official is this So how you read it

Hear how OpenGL ES and OpenGL are evolving to meet the needs of next-generation 3D applications, providing lower overhead and greater graphics richness on mobile and desktop platforms.

So i also guess they will present something we all know will be features of new API, if not API itself .

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Spiele...erden-1129187/

When journalists making assumpation based on rumors or not or if they can't really talk about who is the source then - they are the source .

I can make "real" assumpation that OpenGL 5.0 specs will not be released until Nvidia have something like "usable" implementation .
    Assuming they these "journalists" are not creating these rumors themselves. To many assumtions for me tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    OpenGL support advances more quickly than you think.

It's not like most games require OpenGL 4.4 anyway.

Nothing really essential is only possible by using DirectX. There's always a way to do it with OpenGL, else people wouldn't be porting engines to it.

Delays after a new API version? Look at JavaScript.
    Thats only because the previous gen consoles locked most game development to only OpenGL2.1/DX9.0c class graphics, with only non console games having capabilities of newer graphics hardware. All new consoles are OpenGL4.4/DX11.2 capable, this will be the new baseline going forward, along with games now using more then 4Gb of ram and more then 2 CPU cores.

Expect to need a completely new computer to game in a years time as theres going to be a massive jump in system requirements soon.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    But they don't name any sources either, do they? Sigh, journalism nowadays (or should I say blogging), write whathever you want...
    OpenGL 5.0 soll in vier Wochen auf der Siggraph vorgestellt werden. Die neue Version soll wie die Konkurrenz DirectX 12 und Mantle einen geringeren Treiber-Overhead bieten. Allerdings sollte man von dem Event nicht zu viel erwarten, denn es ist eher informeller Natur. Handfeste Spezifikationen dürften erst später erscheinen.

When journalists making assumpation based on rumors or not or if they can't really talk about who is the source then - they are the source .

I can make "real" assumpation that OpenGL 5.0 specs will not be released until Nvidia have something like "usable" implementation .

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by losko View Post
    I'm afraid we will see OpenGL 5.0 landing on Mesa in 2020+, hopefully...
    Actually, they've made huge progress on implementing more OpenGL features ever since AMD started their OSS efforts so that there was an actual reason to implement all this stuff. Remember, Intel hardware just barely supported this stuff, but was way too slow to actually make use of it and still is generally is too slow to make use of it. When the new features would just bring the hardware to an unplayable crawl why even implement it till theres hardware capable of making use of it?

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Originally posted by losko View Post
    I'm afraid we will see OpenGL 5.0 landing on Mesa in 2020+, hopefully...
    OpenGL support advances more quickly than you think.

It's not like most games require OpenGL 4.4 anyway.

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I'm not in the least bit interested in this. It's years since I read about Direct X 10, and all the excitement over tessellation and whatnot. And we're only really starting to see that come to fruition now in dribs and drabs. We're only just starting to see a handful of games where you need a Direct X 11 card. And that's on Windows.

OpenGL 5...on Linux? Pah, wake me up when that actually happens.

Besides, Khronos are too beholden to CAD professionals to make OpenGL rival Direct X for gaming. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. I'm reminded of the maxim about a camel being a horse designed by committee.
    Nothing really essential is only possible by using DirectX. There's always a way to do it with OpenGL, else people wouldn't be porting engines to it.

Delays after a new API version? Look at JavaScript.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I don't see why people's panties are full of sand over the assumption of the next release being 5.0. Michael even stated himself "we assume this is most likely where they're going to make the jump". He didn't say anything definite. But when it comes to describing a product, it's much easier to just make up a name for it than calling it "the next generation of OpenGL" every time.

Anyway, if this new release is compatible with all current OpenGL 4.x or DX11 hardware, then there's a good chance it will be called OpenGL 4.5. The reason I state this is because MS is notorious for intentionally breaking compatibility with things (in other words, DX12 I believe is not supposed to be Windows 7 compatible), so basing off their numbering scheme doesn't say much. Mantle/Metal are new APIs so they don't really tell us anything about generational changes. However, Mantle (being the only functioning publicly available performance-enhanced API) can only work on a select few GPUs. This is an API designed by AMD for AMD, and it doesn't work on all of their DX11/OGL 4.x compatible GPUs. Unless older-generation GPUs are compatible but AMD didn't spend their time and resources on them, then to me this says the next release will be OpenGL 5.0.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    But they don't name any sources either, do they? Sigh, journalism nowadays (or should I say blogging), write whathever you want...
    last i checked speculation was part of journalism. and article is pretty specific it is just that and not claim of truth. sigh, posters nowadays

Leave a comment:

Working...
X