Next Week We Should Hear All About OpenGL 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Even now though with the Iris Pro 5200 they aren't fast enough to actually USE the OpenGL4.* feature set for anything even remotely demanding.
    You're seriously wrong here. A lot of 4.X features benefit low-end GPUs a lot more, than high-end one. Most of current-gen games unable to utilize power of high-end GPU so people who buy them don't actually need performance tweaks or AZDO because for most of them 50FPS vs 70FPS doesn't make sense.

Obviously I not talking about eye-candy things like tessellation, but about things like compute shaders, texture/buffer storage and other extensions that make possible to do things in more optimal way.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
      You're seriously wrong here. A lot of 4.X features benefit low-end GPUs a lot more, than high-end one. Most of current-gen games unable to utilize power of high-end GPU so people who buy them don't actually need performance tweaks or AZDO because for most of them 50FPS vs 70FPS doesn't make sense.

Obviously I not talking about eye-candy things like tessellation, but about things like compute shaders, texture/buffer storage and other extensions that make possible to do things in more optimal way.
      Note the last part you quoted from me. Intel is still only producing pitiful GPUs at insane prices for the level of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        5 or 4.5 makes no difference.

As things stand now, we lack anything worthwhile on the horizon in terms of new hardware.

AMD say that first iteration of Mantle will be about current hw.
        MS says that DX12 will be just happy with DX FL_11.x.
        Nvidia do not have any hidden hw either.
        Intel is perfectly happy to keep to their GEN architecture too
        Apple even served LESS then OpenGL ES 3.1

The who will propose anything meaningful for next iteration?
        Nobody.

Small things? Plenty of them. Just read AMD/Nvidia extensions. Bits and pieces here and there added to this and that existing functionality.

So in the end, number wont matter.

What is important is how far Khronos will push "AZDO", and how well they PR it.
        (Anyone see serious comparison of OpenGL "AZDO" in the article about DX12 and Mantle on Windows gaming site?)
        OS X 10.9 is OpenGL 4.1.

iOS OpenGL ES will be 3.x, but more importantly, Metal API.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          OS X 10.9 is OpenGL 4.1.

iOS OpenGL ES will be 3.x, but more importantly, Metal API.
          Thats separate issue.

And I agree. Biggest enemy of OpenGL is OpenGL on OSX, and for OGL ES its Metal. On linux. On Windows Mantle is NOT accessible to wide audience. DX12 is not. Metla do not support it. OpenGL "AZDO" is supported by all 3 vendors right now. Thats where I see biggest task for Khronos.

Comment

OpenGL 4.5 spec released: (http://www.opengl.org/registry/) http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/glspec45.core.pdf

new features:

Comment

Working...
            X