Next Week We Should Hear All About OpenGL 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    OpenGL support advances more quickly than you think.

It's not like most games require OpenGL 4.4 anyway.

Nothing really essential is only possible by using DirectX. There's always a way to do it with OpenGL, else people wouldn't be porting engines to it.

Delays after a new API version? Look at JavaScript.
    Thats only because the previous gen consoles locked most game development to only OpenGL2.1/DX9.0c class graphics, with only non console games having capabilities of newer graphics hardware. All new consoles are OpenGL4.4/DX11.2 capable, this will be the new baseline going forward, along with games now using more then 4Gb of ram and more then 2 CPU cores.

Expect to need a completely new computer to game in a years time as theres going to be a massive jump in system requirements soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Spiele...erden-1129187/

When journalists making assumpation based on rumors or not or if they can't really talk about who is the source then - they are the source .

I can make "real" assumpation that OpenGL 5.0 specs will not be released until Nvidia have something like "usable" implementation .
      Assuming they these "journalists" are not creating these rumors themselves. To many assumtions for me tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Assuming they these "journalists" are not creating these rumors themselves. To many assumtions for me tbh.
        Official is this So how you read it

Hear how OpenGL ES and OpenGL are evolving to meet the needs of next-generation 3D applications, providing lower overhead and greater graphics richness on mobile and desktop platforms.

So i also guess they will present something we all know will be features of new API, if not API itself .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Official is this So how you read it

So i also guess they will present something we all know will be features of new API, if not API itself .
          Oh my, another one...

I know what the official statement is. It doesn't contain the number 5. And yes, you can guess and speculate what you want, I dont care.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Oh my, another one...

I know what the official statement is. It doesn't contain the number 5. And yes, you can guess and speculate what you want, I dont care.
            If they say it is 5, they will lose element of surprise for candle people .

Comment

That's exactly the same document I read.
              4 years and 1/2 since OpenGL 4.x and still working on it, this pushes 5.0 around 2020.

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Remember, Intel hardware just barely supported this stuff, but was way too slow to actually make use of it and still is generally is too slow to make use of it. When the new features would just bring the hardware to an unplayable crawl why even implement it till theres hardware capable of making use of it?
              Intel is very close to OpenGL 4.x support in Mesa 11 according to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc0NzY

Comment

Originally posted by losko View Post
                Intel is very close to OpenGL 4.x support in Mesa 11 according to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc0NzY
                Up until this current generation Intel hardware was useless for everything but grandma's email, go back and look how many of the GPU features where offloaded to the CPU even just a few years ago while Nvidia and AMD IGPs put a full GPU on the mobo.

Even now though with the Iris Pro 5200 they aren't fast enough to actually USE the OpenGL4.* feature set for anything even remotely demanding. For that you need high end GPUs, with the advent of OSS drivers for high end GPUs came a real reason to develop those features in Mesa.

I say this with a 4Mb Intel i740 2xAGP card GPU sitting on the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by losko View Post
                  That's exactly the same document I read.
                  4 years and 1/2 since OpenGL 4.x and still working on it, this pushes 5.0 around 2020.
                  We're seriously within 12 months of full GL 4.4 support in Mesa, now. GL5 won't take until 2020.

Comment

I hope OpenGL 5 would redesign and improve multithreading approach. DX and Mantle are seriously ahead in this aspect.

Comment

5 or 4.5 makes no difference.

As things stand now, we lack anything worthwhile on the horizon in terms of new hardware.

AMD say that first iteration of Mantle will be about current hw.
                      MS says that DX12 will be just happy with DX FL_11.x.
                      Nvidia do not have any hidden hw either.
                      Intel is perfectly happy to keep to their GEN architecture too
                      Apple even served LESS then OpenGL ES 3.1

The who will propose anything meaningful for next iteration?
                      Nobody.

Small things? Plenty of them. Just read AMD/Nvidia extensions. Bits and pieces here and there added to this and that existing functionality.

So in the end, number wont matter.

What is important is how far Khronos will push "AZDO", and how well they PR it.
                      (Anyone see serious comparison of OpenGL "AZDO" in the article about DX12 and Mantle on Windows gaming site?)

Comment

Working...
                      X