Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Week We Should Hear All About OpenGL 5.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Next Week We Should Hear All About OpenGL 5.0

    Phoronix: Next Week We Should Hear All About OpenGL 5.0

    Wednesday is the day we've been waiting for when hopefully the lid will be lifted on OpenGL 5 by the Khronos Group...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1OTA

  • #2
    I'm stoked and afraid at the same time. I have hope they'll give the API a big cleanup, but I'm afraid that they'll just introduce a few new features like the last few releases.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm afraid we will see OpenGL 5.0 landing on Mesa in 2020+, hopefully...

      Comment


      • #4
        @Michael Who is your source that GL5 will be announced during this BOF?

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm all for lowering overhead, but before working on that, for the love of God, clean up the f'n API. That should be the priority. Make OpenGL less confounding to work with, THEN work on letting developers get down closer to bare metal, if you will, easier.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not in the least bit interested in this. It's years since I read about Direct X 10, and all the excitement over tessellation and whatnot. And we're only really starting to see that come to fruition now in dribs and drabs. We're only just starting to see a handful of games where you need a Direct X 11 card. And that's on Windows.

            OpenGL 5...on Linux? Pah, wake me up when that actually happens.

            Besides, Khronos are too beholden to CAD professionals to make OpenGL rival Direct X for gaming. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. I'm reminded of the maxim about a camel being a horse designed by committee.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              I'm not in the least bit interested in this. It's years since I read about Direct X 10, and all the excitement over tessellation and whatnot. And we're only really starting to see that come to fruition now in dribs and drabs. We're only just starting to see a handful of games where you need a Direct X 11 card. And that's on Windows
              That was mostly due to consoles being DX9 level hadware. Now that PS4 and XBONE are there, you should see much more DX11/12 games.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by log0 View Post
                @Michael Who is your source that GL5 will be announced during this BOF?
                with new things showing up, i'd say ogl5 is a must. at least commercially from advertising point.

                lots of people/sites would simply dismiss it with "bah, point release. nothing new. look at dx12 whole new release" as big majority don't bother to look at features and what they do, just numbers. for majority of sheep population new number means "big and shiny". just look at 4-4.4 gl, awesome features... no exposure whatsoever, even though they made larger step than dx9-11. those point releases cover AZDO which is more or less what dx12 will be

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  with new things showing up, i'd say ogl5 is a must. at least commercially from advertising point.

                  lots of people/sites would simply dismiss it with "bah, point release. nothing new. look at dx12 whole new release" as big majority don't bother to look at features and what they do, just numbers. for majority of sheep population new number means "big and shiny". just look at 4-4.4 gl, awesome features... no exposure whatsoever, even though they made larger step than dx9-11. those point releases cover AZDO which is more or less what dx12 will be
                  Nah, I just wanted to know whether Michael might have got it from somewhere (Valve) or if it just speculation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    Nah, I just wanted to know whether Michael might have got it from somewhere (Valve) or if it just speculation.
                    then you should really read article, not just title. here, i qouted relevant part for you

                    On 13 August is when the Khronos Group will be announced the next-generation OpenGL at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver. Given that it's going to be going head-to-head with DirectX 12, AMD's Mantle API, and to some extent Apple's Metal, we (and others) assume this is most likely where they're going to make the jump to OpenGL 5.0 rather than OpenGL 4.5 for the next-gen functionality.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X