Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC4 Gallium3D Driver Merged To Mainline Mesa

Phoronix: VC4 Gallium3D Driver Merged To Mainline Mesa

Raspberry Pi fans can rejoice that the VC4 Gallium3D driver has been merged to mainline Mesa in its early form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's interesting that nobody from the community stepped up and did this prior, so Broadcom specifically had to hire someone to write a FOSS driver. Kind of contradicts the "just give us the docs, the community will do the rest" mantra you usually hear.. reminds me of what happened with radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      It's interesting that nobody from the community stepped up and did this prior, so Broadcom specifically had to hire someone to write a FOSS driver. Kind of contradicts the "just give us the docs, the community will do the rest" mantra you usually hear.. reminds me of what happened with radeon.
      Community (most likely) will not solve problems that require a lot of effort. Not many people that are part of it can actually give proper results.

Comment

A lot of the people getting the Raspberry Pi probably don't have the knowledge for writing stuff like this.

Comment

What does this really mean, as in real world differences? Will they release a new version of Raspbian with the new driver (once it's all been committed)? Given that it's Debian, I don't think an apt-get upgrade will pull this in, am I right? I'm thinking that they're using a particular version of Mesa, and you'd have to go messing with your repository sources to update from a current Raspbian install to a more recent version of mesa.

And what's the performance difference like (or likely to be like)?

Comment

It's interesting that nobody from the community stepped up and did this prior, so Broadcom specifically had to hire someone to write a FOSS driver.
            The Community is a lie.

Btw how does the discussion ended about cpu fallbacks?
            Last edited by Nille; 09 August 2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

according to the first commit msg (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...e2c634f667d853) it is based in part on some of the community work that had started already..

but ofc, things are going to go a lot faster if you have a highly experienced graphics driver dev working on it full time, vs. someone working on it in their free time. What did you expect?

Comment

Wait, did they actually release the docs? I thought the only pre-existing community work was all reverse-engineered, and one reason that this new driver is going quickly is that he has access to the internal docs that others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Wait, did they actually release the docs? I thought the only pre-existing community work was all reverse-engineered, and one reason that this new driver is going quickly is that he has access to the internal docs that others don't.
                  I think i saw a simulator mentioned.

Plus, as i said at the end of my rpi blog entry, the community surrounding the real low-level rpi stuff hasn't exactly been encouraged much.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                    Thanks. I got in a bit of a mess there because i had expected html tags to work, and they didn't

Comment

Working...
                    X