Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How next-gen OpenGL [5] will kill DirectX 12 (i.e. AMD's Mantle on Linux & Android) !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Try to think from the devs' perspective. Say 10% of your market has GL4 cards - installed base is king. How many extra sales would you make if you spent the effort to port your engine to gl4 techniques? Would those extra sales offset the cost of making the port?

The answers to those questions tend to be "something between 0 and 2" and "no, hell no".

If you tried to go hardcode and did GL4 only, you just cut your sales by 90%, possibly more.
    Then just imagine how much worse the situation would be with Mantle, which requires you to target the GPU at a lower-level. I doubt it's going to be more abstract than DX or OGL to the point that you can use the techniques and cover a large swath of the GPU marketshare.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Then just imagine how much worse the situation would be with Mantle, which requires you to target the GPU at a lower-level. I doubt it's going to be more abstract than DX or OGL to the point that you can use the techniques and cover a large swath of the GPU marketshare.
      Same with, MS DX12 witch do not exist right now.

Apple Metal is in better possition, as it command close to 50% of high end gaming. (There are equal number of Android phones equipped with OpenGL ES 3.0 !)

And its NOT 10% of market.

It much more. No os restriction can only help. And on Win Intel DO support "AZDO".
      No excuse to use it. Especially if code will support OpenGL 4.x anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Mantle is different in that you get marketing support from AMD, and perhaps pure cash too. So the decision to use Mantle does not depend on users buying because of it (face it, nobody buys games because they use technique X), but the cost gets covered by that support. Compare to The Way It's Meant To Be Played by Nvidia - that program too covers the cost for the devs.

The cost of GL4 would be a burden to the dev alone.

Comment

The cost of GL4 would be a burden to the dev alone.
          In the past yes, but now we will have opengl4 support in future engines like ue4, cryengine 3, unity? and unigine(unused engine i know). So it's not burden to devs alone anymore.

And about android, in future it uses opengles3.1+AEP(android expansion pack). Which is
          a new set of extensions to OpenGL ES that bring desktop class graphics to Android. Games will be able to take advantage of tessellation and geometry shaders, and use ASTC texture compression.
          Epic's Unreal Engine 4 'Rivalry' project demonstrated at Google I/O shows what's possible when PC-class gaming technologies and performance are brought to mo...

Comment

You are assuming everyone buys one of those engines.

Comment

You are assuming everyone buys one of those engines.
              Of course every dev won't buy one of those engine, they won't suite every game(and I misread your earlier post, so I agree it could be burden to dev alone).

And opengl is part of nvidia gameworks libraries(if some dev with his grazy mind would use gameworks middleware), thus you could get support for opengl4 from nvidia as you get support with mantle from amd:

Comment

So is OpenGL5 = Mantle or is that just speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  So is OpenGL5 = Mantle or is that just speculation?
                  Pure speculation. Mantle shader syntax is HLSL based eg...

Comment

Working...
                  X