Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    The only game I'd still need on Linux is MS FSX, which has no FPS problems, despite its very high demands on the hw, but some other alike:
    http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23007
    It is your fault if you decide to use FSX while there is a technically far superior product out there running natively on Linux and is available on Steam. You know what i am talking about ...
    There is no point in using abandoned windows software from stonage

Comment

Originally posted by tizbac View Post
      Yeah , keep in mind that , on this video , the graphics card is at 0a performance level , it is still 4 times slower than top memory clock speed
      Also another thing , aside from fps , is that the temporary freezes while loading stuff are completely gone on most games , especially games like skyrim , mafia 2 ( this one still has some graphics issues to be sorted )
      I wonder. Since the ENB Enhancer for Skyrim injects something into D3D9 would that also be possible in the Wine version with the State Tracker?
      Last edited by blackout23; 29 July 2014, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        I wonder. Since the ENB Enhancer for Skyrim injects something into D3D9 would that also be possible in the Wine version with the State Tracker?
        if it alters windows d3d9 code , it won't work , because it expects microsoft code at microsoft choosen addresses , that's why most games have to be cracked to run on wine , it's because DRMs are heavily obfuscated and make assumptions about DLLs layout, so they won't work on wine, or anything that is not windows

Comment

Originally posted by tizbac View Post
          Yeah , keep in mind that , on this video , the graphics card is at 0a performance level , it is still 4 times slower than top memory clock speed
          Also another thing , aside from fps , is that the temporary freezes while loading stuff are completely gone on most games , especially games like skyrim , mafia 2 ( this one still has some graphics issues to be sorted )
          saying game will work 4x faster is not making sense. once you hit cpu bottleneck it doesn't matter how fast your gpu is. but, i have to admit it would be interesting info i'd like to know

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            saying game will work 4x faster is not making sense. once you hit cpu bottleneck it doesn't matter how fast your gpu is. but, i have to admit it would be interesting info i'd like to know
            I've not said the game will be 4x faster , but the clock frequencies on the video are 4x slower , so there's still plenty of room for performance improvement maybe

Comment

Cool, but if it is not mainlined, I just cant use it.

Comment

From the D3D 10/11 commit message (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...c1b8903d438b):

Fglrx and nvidia drivers can also be supported by writing a Gallium
                driver that talks to them using OpenGL, which is a relatively easy
                task.
                Wouldn't that be possible for d3d9 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  From the D3D 10/11 commit message (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...c1b8903d438b):

Wouldn't that be possible for d3d9 as well?
                  Yes, that would work for proprietary drivers and Intel, but it would probably be even slower than what wined3d is doing now.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    Yes, that would work for proprietary drivers and Intel, but it would probably be even slower than what wined3d is doing now.

And what if we do it D3D9_ST -> Gallium -> AMD_IL. Well you will provide the IL front-end.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                      And what if we do it D3D9_ST -> Gallium -> AMD_IL. Well you will provide the IL front-end.
                      AFAIK, AMD IL is only a shader representation/language, it's not an API and as such cannot represent D3D9 states and draw commands. It's pretty useless by itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X