Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _SXX_
    replied
    Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
    10000-15000$??
    Don't you think it's way too much?

@tarceri did successful crowdfunding campaign for Mesa extensions, but he only collected $2000 and $3000 and I doubt project like D3D9 state tracker might collect 3 times more.

Leave a comment:

• Pontostroy
    replied
    It would be nice if someone why knows mesa/wine/opengl/d3d/etc create a crowd-funding campaign for D9/D11 state trackers. (10000-15000$?? for adapting and supporting mesa-git\wine-git patches during a year)

Leave a comment:

• _SXX_
    replied
    In case somebody not watch Oibaf topic, he just merged D3D9 to his main PPA:
    Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    Actually gallium-nine merges properly, so I added it to the main PPA.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    huh? I am totally confused.
    Does native mean linux-openGL-native or windows(7/8?)-direct3d-native?
    one of both is indeed missing.
    for GTA it must have been windows-d3d-native, cause there is no linux port - right?
    forget what i?ve said... there were no numbers for gta-native so we are talking all linux.

Still - now I wonder how the windows fps would be on the same hardware...on same level than wine-nine?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
    i tested with out multicore rendering

HL2 Lost coast with multicore rendering

wine nine - 194
    wine csmt - 168
    wine wd3d - 98
    native - 164
    huh? I am totally confused.
    Does native mean linux-openGL-native or windows(7/8?)-direct3d-native?
    one of both is indeed missing.
    for GTA it must have been windows-d3d-native, cause there is no linux port - right?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    Ok, if Nvidia and AMD start to support the d3d9 State Tracker, what do we win with this? Noting, it's a 10 Years old API. Since the Release we have D3D10, D3D10.1, D3D11.0 D3D11.1, D3D11.2 and in the future D3D12.
    we can play the old games then! like the witcher 2 or skyrim with ubersampling or in 4k or whatever super-settings.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Anyone tested Gallium with the D3D10/11 State Tracker which was rewritten about a year ago?
    https://github.com/chrisbmr/Mesa-3D/tree/d3d11-rewrite

I don't know if it works with the d3dadapter patches made to Wine for Gallium Nine. In the commit message a few years ago, the author mentioned that he actually was able to run stuff with it. Battlefield would be a cool test or Unigine Valley with D3D11 mode.

Leave a comment:

• Pontostroy
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    Even with ToGL (Direct3D to OpenGL Translator), shouldn't the results on Linux native be way better?
    I thought the Linux Kernel ought to give us a measurable boost over the Windows NT kernel, so I ask again, why these weird results?
    i tested with out multicore rendering

HL2 Lost coast with multicore rendering

wine nine - 194
    wine csmt - 168
    wine wd3d - 98
    native - 164

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Even with ToGL (Direct3D to OpenGL Translator), shouldn't the results on Linux native be way better?
    I thought the Linux Kernel ought to give us a measurable boost over the Windows NT kernel, so I ask again, why these weird results?
    It has nothing todo with the Kernels from both systems.

Leave a comment:

• _SXX_
    replied
    There is no guarantee that WineD3D or Nine rendering is fully correct while native is more tested. Also Valve isn't passionate about AMD and Nvidia open source drivers so likely results with Nvidia blob on Windows vs Nvidia blob on Linux would be totally different.

Even with some improvements HL2 is still game from 2004. It's mean there can't be any any CPU scheduling, memory management or file system bottlenecks which so you won't likely see any advantage of Linux kernel there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X