Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Announced Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Predictions...

Could You guys check this out and tell me what You think about it?

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...amp-Android)-!

Comment

Gallium3D

All this talk about reducing API overhead by removing abstractions, and nobody has asked how Gallium3D is affected by this? I'd imagine that Gallium might get in the way of implementing the next-gen OpenGL with low overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
        All this talk about reducing API overhead by removing abstractions, and nobody has asked how Gallium3D is affected by this? I'd imagine that Gallium might get in the way of implementing the next-gen OpenGL with low overhead.
        Gallium 3D for now has nothing to do with that.
        At the time crapless OpenGL will be released it will be driver with compatibility. Propably Gallium3D will support old OGL and OGL Next Gen at least at first.
        I would be much more intrested about X/Wayland issue, but for 99% OGL Next will be compatible to both.
        Propably it is gonna take a year at minimum till it gonna be released so don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
          Gallium 3D for now has nothing to do with that.
          At the time crapless OpenGL will be released it will be driver with compatibility. Propably Gallium3D will support old OGL and OGL Next Gen at least at first.
          I would be much more intrested about X/Wayland issue, but for 99% OGL Next will be compatible to both.
          Propably it is gonna take a year at minimum till it gonna be released so don't worry.
          Why does Gallium have nothing to do with the discussion? It shouldn't be hard to write a state tracker for the next gen OpenGL for Gallium, but I doubt you'll see the performance benefits compared to a non-Gallium architecture. Intel claimed that the CPU overhead of Gallium is fairly high which is why they didn't use it for their drivers. If there's any truth to their claim then Gallium won't be a good foundation for a low overhead, high performance API.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
            Why does Gallium have nothing to do with the discussion? It shouldn't be hard to write a state tracker for the next gen OpenGL for Gallium, but I doubt you'll see the performance benefits compared to a non-Gallium architecture. Intel claimed that the CPU overhead of Gallium is fairly high which is why they didn't use it for their drivers. If there's any truth to their claim then Gallium won't be a good foundation for a low overhead, high performance API.
            I doubt that will be a problem at least for the next few years. Why gallium3d is only used by free drivers, this drivers Grafics performace is pretty bad, for amd hardware on old games it may differ but not with new games, heck the amd opensource drivers never even reached opengl 4.0 capabilites.

And the intel gpus are just by hardware extremly bad gpu (compared to ded. grafic cards at least and even against amd apus they are not on par).

So in 99% of the time the gpu driver/hardware will be the bottleneck and not if the cpu has 20-30% load.

And even if that would change, I doubt that gallium3d is really in the way of such stuff. its not like microsoft changes their driver modell for dx12 or something, if they do its again only to have a excuse to support it only with windows 9.

Comment

Working...
            X