Ubuntu 14.10 Will Not Ship With Open-Source OpenCL Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    Are you saying they are in repo and will work with Ubuntu's main mesa install? I was under the impression from the original bug report that Mesa was compiled without support for these drivers, as it is known to have been in the past for ST2C/ST3C support
    Yes, they are. They are in the backports, well everything but GPGPU OpenCL as that work isn't done yet, but yes OpenCL packages and even Radeon VDPAU support enabled version of MPV as well as S2TC are all available from official Ubuntu repos. As a Mint and previously Ubuntu user, why on earth you would even be running without the backports repos enabled is beyond me.

Not having those repos active is actually a huge detriment as the default kernel version has issues holding a connection over wifi, but updating it to current patched version fixes it with no further actions required.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
      I have weird feeling that there nothing to compare because open source drivers likely don't work with real apps.
      Though it's would be interesting to see how Beignet perform because I always only tried to use OpenCL on R600g.
      And you'd be right as they aren't OpenCL 1.0 compliant yet http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        Are there any disadvantages if they would not diable it? No!

Would there be a advantage when u activate it, yes, many developers use ubuntu and with that activated they can play around and get used to the api or something.

So its no technical desition its polical desition, and the other example with vdpau that clearly is a big advantage they did disable too, makes this look even more a politic try move to advertise proprietary software (driver blobs).
        Ever seen the pics of corrupt graphics from early builds of the OSS GPU drivers? Imagine that kind of manglement happening to your photos in GIMP, your renders in Blender or your charts in LibreOffice. Thats worse then no OpenCL at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Hey Luke, could you help me? I'd like to use ST2C/ST3C, since I imagine that games would preform better with it, but I have an optimus system(intel sandbridge gen 2 + nvidia 540m), which is very very sensitive to driver issues and version numbers. Would oibaf be a good solution for me, or would I be playing with fire. I absolutly CAN NOT afford down time on this laptop, I need it for work. Is there a way to install ST2C/ST3C without installing a entire driver? Maybe a single package?
          The reason you can't find it is you keep spelling it wrong... http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libtxc-dxtn-s2tc-bin S3TC = S3 Texture Compression, S3 being VIA's GPU division, makers of Chrome graphics chips. ST2C = not a damn thing...

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            libtxc-dxtn-s2tc is installed by default in Ubuntu 14.04.

mesa-vdpau-drivers is available if you do a quick search in Synaptic.

Nothing to see here folks, a no story by Moronix.
            Which is why I hope that once Steamboxes become a thing the sites out there that actually do good news and benchmarking start doing Linux tests and put Larabel out of buisness.

Comment

I run alpha versions of Ubuntu, so backports are irrelevent

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Yes, they are. They are in the backports, well everything but GPGPU OpenCL as that work isn't done yet, but yes OpenCL packages and even Radeon VDPAU support enabled version of MPV as well as S2TC are all available from official Ubuntu repos. As a Mint and previously Ubuntu user, why on earth you would even be running without the backports repos enabled is beyond me.

Not having those repos active is actually a huge detriment as the default kernel version has issues holding a connection over wifi, but updating it to current patched version fixes it with no further actions required.
              My kernel, Mesa, and X are all from PPA's, I haven't used the Ubuntu repo versions in years except in installs from Mint or Ubuntustudio installers into test machines. I had read on Phoronix that Ubuntu compiled mesa without support for ST2C, thought that meant the package would not work with it but never tested it as I had the PPA versions anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                Ever seen the pics of corrupt graphics from early builds of the OSS GPU drivers? Imagine that kind of manglement happening to your photos in GIMP, your renders in Blender or your charts in LibreOffice. Thats worse then no OpenCL at all.
                Tangentially related:

The rulers in gimp have always been corrupted for me, and continue to be with latest cairo/pixman/xf86-video-ati etc. In fact the latest cairo broke gradient preview in gimp. Haven't bothered filing bugs for either since I so rarely use the rulers, and the gradient issue can be worked around by preloading earlier cairo.

So OSS corruption continues unabated

Comment

Would compiling with --enable-r600-llvm-compiler improve OpenCL status? If so, why not enabling it by default in mesa (which would still be ineffective on OpenGL unless R600_DEBUG=llvm env var is set)?

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    Would compiling with --enable-r600-llvm-compiler improve OpenCL status? If so, why not enabling it by default in mesa (which would still be ineffective on OpenGL unless R600_DEBUG=llvm env var is set)?
                    No, this is unrelated to OpenCL. It's disabled by default because it's somewhat broken.

Comment

Working...
                    X