Raspberry Pi DRM+Gallium3D Driver Makes Great Progress In One Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi DRM+Gallium3D Driver Makes Great Progress In One Week

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi DRM+Gallium3D Driver Makes Great Progress In One Week

Last week Eric Anholt left Intel's Linux graphics driver team to go work for Broadcom developing a VC4 DRM/KMS and Gallium3D driver for the GPU that supports the Raspberry Pi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so conflicted. On one hand, fuck broadcom for their awful rj45 ports and wifi chips with no or garbage Linux support.

On the other hand, they are now the third company to not only provide documentation on their GPUs but apparently pay someone to work on them. That is an instant win.

Problem is that any device with broadcom embedded is inevitability using their wifi parts, which are all ass on Linux. Would like to see them get on the ball on that and work on that preliminary support they released a few years ago and give us some Qualcomm grade fully foss wireless drivers.

Interesting that Qualcomm is the flip side, with great free wireless drivers and completely black box proprietary GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I'm so conflicted. On one hand, fuck broadcom for their awful rj45 ports and wifi chips with no or garbage Linux support.
      RJ45 ports? The way this is written doesn't even make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
        RJ45 ports? The way this is written doesn't even make any sense.

AKA, Ethernet Ports. Broadcom ships their own chipsets for them, and they all blow chunks and rarely work on Linux. I think the situation may have improved in recent years, but I've been avoiding their parts since 2007 regardless.

Comment

My BCM4313 WiFi in my 2012 laptop works just fine with the brcmsmac (official open source) driver. It didn't work right until Linux 3.12, before then I had to use the proprietary wl driver, but at least it worked. I haven't had issues with their stuff not working at all ever, at least not since like 2006 when I first got into Linux (at which time my Broadcom 54g card did work after firmware cutting). The wireless chips in my phones (Note and Note 3) are Broadcom and work fine with the kernel-integrated FOSS driver there as well. Broadcom's router SoC's are also quite good. I've used several Broadcom-based wireless routers with custom FOSS firmware (DD-WRT and OpenWRT) and Broadcom's networking devices always seemed to be well supported in that area. Now with the work they're doing in making the Raspberry Pi into a mostly FOSS system I'm very happy with them overall. They've definitely turned around from the company they were 5-10 years ago in terms of Linux and FOSS support.

Comment

I have two recent Broadcom mpcie cards sitting in a box because they are unusable under Linux. One works with wl, the other works with nothing. They are both wireless AC cards, but just because a product is "new" (and by new here I mean two years old) doesn't excuse no support.

Comment

Working...
            X