Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.
    They don't contribute as much as they should; they don't need your support either.

    Comment


    • #32
      I don't think Valve provides statistics, or indeed searchability or even a mention on whether Steam itself is required. The only games where I've heard of that option being chosen have been small indie ones. That would point to something like 99.5% of Steam games requiring it.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by kringel View Post
        What sucks about not owning the copy entirely is sometimes forced auto-updates ("update required"). Example from the Windows world: People who would love to play an older version of Half-Life 2, e.g. from the physical copy they bought. There are some reasons to want this, but legally it is impossible. Or sometimes games get new features or updates can break something. That's a point against Steam, I agree.
        You are aware that you can disable updates on a per game level in Steam?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by stqn View Post
          Unfortunately the games descriptions never mention if they require Steam or not. I?ve never seen it anyway. And I think many games with achievements and most games with multiplayer do?

          That being said I?m not on a crusade against Steam. It?s fairly unobtrusive DRM (if it is), still works when the net is down (at least it did when I lost my internet for 2 weeks recently). I buy DRM-free games (i.e. Humble Store) when I can, but Steam is convenient and my life does not depend on being able to play every single one of the 130 games in my library .
          Here you go. Saddly Steam doesn't supply a list but the community collected one.
          http://www.gog.com/forum/general/lis...games_on_steam

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by curaga View Post
            I don't think Valve provides statistics, or indeed searchability or even a mention on whether Steam itself is required. The only games where I've heard of that option being chosen have been small indie ones. That would point to something like 99.5% of Steam games requiring it.
            Here a list, if you fee like counting, but from a quick look it look more like at least 5% don't require steam. http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              You are aware that you can disable updates on a per game level in Steam?
              On top of that Half-Life 2 is actually one of the game that can be run without Steam client, so you likely to find older version of the file around somewhere, just no idea why anyone would want to play an older version of Half-Life 2, it a single player game, single player game patch are mostly bug fix (so I am maybe seeing one reason now, speedrunner who can no longer exploit a glitch they used to cut time), unlike multiplayer game, where patching are likely to include gameplay change, as they try to balance the game.

              Comment


              • #37
                Cant believe all the Valve hate here. Any improvement to linux is a great thing, even if Valve does it for financial reasons. Their interests happen to match your own, so be glad. Microsoft right now wants Xbox One to be successful as well as Windows, but gaming is bigger on PC than Xbone. They can't support one without losing the other. Microsoft don't care, they just want you to buy the latest Windows.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Without Valve, OpenGL might even die in the long run with people moving to dx12, metal, mantle etc.
                  I'm curious about OpenGL5 and how khronos will react to the new apis.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Valve has already stated that in the unlikely event of them going out of buisness they will kill the need to log in
                    It is daft and naive to believe this. A company which has gone out of business does not have money to fund developers to update software (i.e Steam). A company which has gone out of business also has no money to host that patched version of the software (i.e Steam).

                    Not to mention the fact that many companies distributing their games on Steam will not give permission to Valve to release their game DRM free.

                    Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                    Without Valve, OpenGL might even die in the long run with people moving to dx12, metal, mantle.
                    OpenGL has survived long enough without Valve haha. The "predicted" death of OpenGL is not a new thing and just as before, those giving the predictions were wrong. WebGL for one is pretty much the latest "trendy" thing. It isnt going anywhere.

                    Honestly, I do not hate Valve. I think I hate people who accept DRM though :/
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 06-08-2014, 01:27 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      It is daft and naive to believe this. A company which has gone out of business does not have money to fund developers to update software (i.e Steam). A company which has gone out of business also has no money to host that patched version of the software (i.e Steam).

                      Not to mention the fact that many companies distributing their games on Steam will not give permission to Valve to release their game DRM free.
                      The patch doesn't go to the game, it goes to the Steam Client. Valve doesn't patch the 3rd party games they sell, those games developers do, Valve just hosts the files.

                      Disabling the call home would take a single patch only a few lines long that turned it off permanently. Thus leaving the only games that may give you any trouble being those that use 3rd party DRM, which is always clearly stated on their purchase page, these games are usually those put out by EA and Ubisoft.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X