Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wizard69
    replied
    You do realize Metal is for Apples A7's at this point and very likely the coming A8. AMD has nothing to do with this, Metal is simply a software solution to performance on A7 based hardware.

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    I see a LOT of AMD Users being very butthurt over AMD's poor quality engineering team. Open source drivers are getting there and the performance is coming with the engineering. But NVIDIA has always had good OpenGL support and it's fast. Maybe people should stop blaming OpenGL and start blaming their crap GPU vendor. Intel has never been into making hard-core GPU chips. But they are actually making pretty reasonable progress making decent entry level cards. AMD has had years to get this stuff right, and doesn't hire anywhere near enough people to get this job done. It's time to stop launching 50 different API's and start pressuring AMD to put real resources into getting the job done right. I know this will come off as trolling to a lot of people. But come on, they've had more than a decade to get GL support correct. Intel gets it done first try. They just aren't making super fast GPUs. AMD obviously has a software engineering resourcing problem. I think Apple's metal is their latest attempt to make up for AMD's engineering shortcomings, else it's just Apple's way to avoid porting any legacy API code to iOS/Mac OSX.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    how much apple paid???

lol

linux, continue with opengl and bring more support to opengl es, we don't need nothing different
    I have to wonder what BS will come out of your mouth when Mantle runs on Linux and there is a mad rush to use it.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    what a joke
    So you don't believe somebody that has actually worked with Metal?

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
    Doesn't matter. The graph is pointless because it quotes one Apple dollar versus Android completely disregarding the fact that Android has ten times (or more) more users worldwide. The graph might be more applicable to the US, where number of ios users is close to the Android users, but nowadays nobody releases only for the US.

p.s. also note that advertising revenues (first row) are almost the same on android and ios. The vast majority of apps are have ads inside.
    The vast major it of those Android users don't have hardware even capable of running the games that run on Apples hardware.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    where is data? website and study?! or you make this graph?
    You can read can't you? Maybe this is the problem with the Android camp in general, independent research has constantly pointed out the fact that developers actually make money with iOS.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Well I feel relieved now that the Official Apple Spokesperson has chimed in.
    If you don't believe him there is always Apples web site with full details on Metal.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    App revenue on iOS is many times larger than Android and has been since iOS began.
    yep! Even Samsung is starting to withdraw from Android. Sad really, Google needs to reboot Android soon or Apples battles of the future will be against Windows again.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It's not in any of those companies interests to go after their own API. Intel especially since graphics aren't their thing. Apple on the other hand has a lot of good reasons to make their own API. And frankly, they could pull it off. Unless OpenGL 5 is such a blunder that even Linux developers begin to use Direct3D in Linux.

But more likely it's to get developers locked into iOS. Too many are jumping ship for Android. If we're lucky then they'll do more damage to themselves then any good.
    Where does this nonsense about lock in come from. Are people really that ignorant?

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
    Apple aren't dumb. They not going to drop OpenGL support anytime soon. This API needed for iOS vendor lock-in.
    There is no lock in. Game developers will simply use the accelerated gaming engine of their choosing. For the vast majority of developers, Metal wouldn't even be noticed.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    lol, osx gaming is dead if they drop opengl support. Nobody is going to use a proprietary API to support <1% of the user base.
    Actually they already have engine developers on board.
    Got a good chuckle out of this with my fellow game/graphics engine dev friends. Even ios is a joke compared to android now, >90% of my game sales came from android so I stopped supporting ios devices because it's a waste of time.
    yah I will believe that when I see independent research indicating that Android developers actually make a living.
    Apple should have done this when they had the clear advantage over android a few years back before they became 5% market share in the mobile space.
    Which is complete BS! Apple has a significant share of the market of devices that are actually capable of doing anything.

Both use OpenGL. Nvidia is heavily invested in OGL and has proven that it doesn't have the overhead AMD/Microsoft claim it has if used properly(e.g, arb_buffer_storage with persistent mapping)
    You wouldn't expect Nvidia to ignore the reality of the competition getting a leg up on them would you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X