• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Any evidence to back that up?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Pretty much Rust. As someone who is big on the C language syntax, the changes are jarring and piss me off, but I can usually understand why they are there.

Except :: scope operators. For fucks sake, there are like 30 glyph characters on the standard keyboard, and you should at least be prioritizing the most commonly used ones to get single character operands first. It was a double colon in C++ because it was a hack on syntax, like pretty much everything else in C++. That is why we have && universal references and [](){} lambdas where you need the () if you declare it mutable.
      Or they could have added a few bunch of new keywords just to make things worse. Using already defined keywords or just using brackets is fine with me, "[] () {}" is faster and easier to write than "function () {}"

Comment

???

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Err, rust? D?

????????'

Comment

hm

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

where is data? website and study?! or you make this graph?

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            Or they could have added a few bunch of new keywords just to make things worse. Using already defined keywords or just using brackets is fine with me, "[] () {}" is faster and easier to write than "function () {}"
            Honestly I'd love to see a language with both. When you are just starting out you have the flexibility to reserve a bunch of keyboards and symbol batters and ship a reference lexer to alias them all.

IE, instead of, say, * in C, you could have pointer<T> foo, ptr<T> foo, and T *foo all mean the same thing.

So instead of being forced to type one or the other, your lambda could be func(capturetype,args){stuff}, function(capturetype,args){stuff}, lamb(capturetype,args){stuff}, or [](){}.

I would probably not advocate having all the damn synonyms be language restricted keywords, I'm just thinking of possible names to give them. But it is well known that both glyphic and named ways to describe operations and language features have advantages, the former is almost always more concise for the veteran and the latter is more legible for the novice. And really, it is kind of about personal choice. But in practice, it is a real PITA to do #define &(x) ref(x) or however you'd want to try to wizard that stuff into C style languages, and it often has crazy errors, and can conflict all the time. Having it as a language feature seems like a neat.. feature. Like every construct could have a name and a symbol, and you could use what is appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              where is data? website and study?! or you make this graph?

Doesn't matter. The graph is pointless because it quotes one Apple dollar versus Android completely disregarding the fact that Android has ten times (or more) more users worldwide. The graph might be more applicable to the US, where number of ios users is close to the Android users, but nowadays nobody releases only for the US.

p.s. also note that advertising revenues (first row) are almost the same on android and ios. The vast majority of apps are have ads inside.
              Last edited by Anarchy; 02 June 2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

They already have support from several major companies/engines including EA/Frostibite, Crytek/Cryengine, Unreal/Unreal Engine, and Unity/Unity Engine. Metal adoption will probably be pretty good from major studios making graphically intensive games, which is probably Metal's target audience anyways.

Aras Pranckevicius from Unity said adding Metal support was the fastest API port they've ever done. If it's high performance and easy to use, ie. decent benefits without major costs, developers could support it in addition to OpenGL ES. If they don't have the resources to support Metal, then OpenGL ES is still available and being improved on iOS. Apple has added several new OpenGL ES extensions in iOS 8 and presumably the new drivers are faster as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
                  Aras Pranckevicius from Unity said adding Metal support was the fastest API port they've ever done.
                  what a joke

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Honestly I'd love to see a language with both. When you are just starting out you have the flexibility to reserve a bunch of keyboards and symbol batters and ship a reference lexer to alias them all.

IE, instead of, say, * in C, you could have pointer<T> foo, ptr<T> foo, and T *foo all mean the same thing.

So instead of being forced to type one or the other, your lambda could be func(capturetype,args){stuff}, function(capturetype,args){stuff}, lamb(capturetype,args){stuff}, or [](){}.

I would probably not advocate having all the damn synonyms be language restricted keywords, I'm just thinking of possible names to give them. But it is well known that both glyphic and named ways to describe operations and language features have advantages, the former is almost always more concise for the veteran and the latter is more legible for the novice. And really, it is kind of about personal choice. But in practice, it is a real PITA to do #define &(x) ref(x) or however you'd want to try to wizard that stuff into C style languages, and it often has crazy errors, and can conflict all the time. Having it as a language feature seems like a neat.. feature. Like every construct could have a name and a symbol, and you could use what is appropriate.
                    Agreed, they could have made this a little better. They are currently working on better errors ( concepts ) and now, ptr<T> is possible with class like unique_ptr and shared_ptr

Comment

Thanks gabe for use OpenGL =)

Comment

Working...
                      X