Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel vs. Radeon vs. Nouveau On Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3-devel

Phoronix: Intel vs. Radeon vs. Nouveau On Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3-devel

The latest Linux graphics we have to benchmark at Phoronix are from a spectrum of Intel HD Graphics, AMD Radeon, and NVIDIA GeForce graphics when testing the latest open-source GPU drivers found with the in-development Linux 3.15 kernel and Mesa 10.3-devel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The Nouveau performance should be quite interesting once the re-clocking / dynamic power management is sorted out, but there isn't yet a firm time-frame when we can expect this open-source NVIDIA driver to have the support properly implemented."

Nvidia just wants a driver that works on Linux out of the box. If the nouveau driver can display a desktop, thats good enough for Nvidia, but that is all the help the nouveau team will get from them. Performance wise, I guess they don't want to compete with another driver on their hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
      "The Nouveau performance should be quite interesting once the re-clocking / dynamic power management is sorted out, but there isn't yet a firm time-frame when we can expect this open-source NVIDIA driver to have the support properly implemented."

Nvidia just wants a driver that works on Linux out of the box. If the nouveau driver can display a desktop, thats good enough for Nvidia, but that is all the help the nouveau team will get from them. Performance wise, I guess they don't want to compete with another driver on their hardware.
      Last time I checked nvidia doesn't contribute anything useful to the nouveau project - they only have their attention drawn to the open source tegra drivers. They do, however, put a lot of effort into their closed source drivers and the performance is there to prove it. It's just a shame they don't chase after the bugs.

Comment

Michael,

Which NVIDIA cards yielded these PGRAPH errors? On what game? Ilia has fixed many bugs in mesa/kernel, as far as I know, very few known bugs are left. Would you care telling us more?

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
          Michael,

Which NVIDIA cards yielded these PGRAPH errors? On what game? Ilia has fixed many bugs in mesa/kernel, as far as I know, very few known bugs are left. Would you care telling us more?
          Xonotic and GpuTest tended to be the easiest cases to find Nouveau problems (and some of the recent Radeon problems too for that matter). I don't recall any PGRAPH errors for Fermi/Kepler hardware but this round it seemed to be mostly problematic to the NV50-era hardware. Among the GPUs I tested that I recall offhand were the GT 220, 9500GT, 9600GSO.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wanna see that reclocking fixed, just to see how they perform at their best.

Comment

I'll quote myself:
              Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              Seriously people, how do you expect your hardware to work without reporting the bugs? you don't want to cooperate with the devs and everyone else?
              At least do some tiny effort...

#radeon in irc.freenode.net
              Michael should also do this...

Off-topic: sometimes, when I visit this website, my CPU goes to 100% until I close all the tabs. I'm using chromium 34.0.1847.116 (Ubuntu 13.10), I usually open 3+ tabs for different articles.
              Last edited by asdfblah; 14 May 2014, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Xonotic and GpuTest tended to be the easiest cases to find Nouveau problems (and some of the recent Radeon problems too for that matter). I don't recall any PGRAPH errors for Fermi/Kepler hardware but this round it seemed to be mostly problematic to the NV50-era hardware. Among the GPUs I tested that I recall offhand were the GT 220, 9500GT, 9600GSO.
                Thanks, we'll re-run our tests on the whole nv50 family very soon and try to catch those errors.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                  Michael,

I saw many bug reports on AskUbuntu and Launchpad - usually hangs, crashes not with specific games but usually just booting up or logging in:

14.04 was only released last month so hopefully many of those reports are recent enough to be useful. Examples:

Comment

Test window managers

Why not test too Mutter, Muffin, Kwin, Compiz and any other windows manager we know

Games are great benchmarking tools, but everybody uses the desktop

I cannot use Gnome or Cinnamon with my cards, at least not with my integrated ATI HD4250 or my older NVIDIA 7950 GX2 - this because the SLI -

And last time I check this bugs are still there. And this information would be good to know

PS:I am a happy Manjaro XFCE user, but I do like to test other desktops or distros, I am thinking in buying a GTX 750 Ti for Linux gaming - Any suggestions for a better purchase, and or good or bad experiences ?

Comment

Working...
                    X