B=AMD
    C=Intel

Leave a comment:

• DMJC
    replied
    A = Nvidia
    B= ATi/AMD
    C = Intel

Pretty obvious. Nvidia uses a lot of Sillicon Graphics Inc code, hence why they won't open it. Interesting read about nvidia's OpenGL driver being broken, wouldn't have known from the consumer experience of using it.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    Also to note, he hasn't tried out A or B's open source drivers.
    Which is good, because we don't want him to comit suicide over A's open source driver which isn't really developed by A to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• pali
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    I think he doesn't give enough credit to the Radeon Gallium driver.
    Yes, but this one sentence is probably enough:

"At some point, the open source driver for Vendor B's GPU may be a more viable path forward then their half-functional closed source driver."

Leave a comment:

• ua=42
    replied
    Also to note, he hasn't tried out A or B's open source drivers.

Leave a comment:

• fedesog
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    I have to admit, reading that article more carefully, it's not black and white, indeed.

My bad. :/
    And he definitely likes the Intel FOSS drivers the most, even more than Nvidia proprietary drivers
    Vendor A will have to jump on the open source driver bandwagon soon in order to better compete against Vendor C's open model, whether they like it or not.

Leave a comment:

• sirdilznik
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Have you actually read the article? He gave A its share of criticism aswell.
    Agreed, he does his fair share of Nvidia... I mean vendor A bashing.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    I have to admit, reading that article more carefully, it's not black and white, indeed.

My bad. :/

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Vendor B can't update its driver without breaking something. They will send you updates or hotfixes that fix one thing but break two other things. If you single step into one of this driver's entrypoints you'll notice layers upon layers of cruft tacked on over the years by devs who are no longer at the company. Nobody remaining at vendor B understands these barnacle-like software layers enough to safely change them.

I've occasionally seen bizarre things happen on Vendor B's driver when replaying GL call streams of shipped titles into this driver using voglreplay. The game itself will work fine, but when the GL callstream is replayed we'll see massive framebuffer corruption (that goes away if we flush the GL pipeline after every draw). My guess: this driver is probably using app profiles to just turn off entire features that are just too buggy.
    ... that must be the secret sauce.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Well, I'm not sure this AMD bashing (I'm pretty sure it is that vendor he refers to by 'B') is helpful.
    Yes, 'A' is ahead when it comes to OpenGL, but I don't think this black and white painting is any good.
    I can hardly believe this article is right by basically stating:

A: All great.
    B: Get lost, you're doomed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X