Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    The rendering is truly amazing.

But as someone who is not so much into the demoscene, does anyone know why not all their code is open source by default? Is this really the spirit that they create digital art in innovative ways, but then have their methods as their secret proprietary knowledge?

But then you can notice this in many areas. Now that quite a few games have gone cross platform like half life 2, there are still new mods being created from scratch that are for windows only and no source code is released. Or the countless windows-only demos for the oculus rift where no source code is available...

I'm not trying to troll or something, I'm genuinely curious what the big gain is in keeping the source code secret for programs that are released free of cost...

ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/resources/seminars/code/
    i recommend "bp07_seminar_toxie_raytracingforthemasses_xvid.av i", its rly good
    there are good ones about keeping the code small (even a good one about compression, don't see it in this batch thou)

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      Probably for the "secret sauce".
      Demoscene is a constant fight between various group to release the most stunning demo , and they don't want to share their algorithms with other groups.
      That's not true at all
      After watching the demo, and for any graphics programmer who is close to demoscene, it's quite clear how it's made. Just take a look to distance functions and you will see how lot of intros ar? made nowadays.
      The problem of releasing It on Windows or linux is more related with availability of good executable compressors than system itself, however, visual studio is still today the best c/c++ ide/debugger out there, so usually gfx coders use Windows (not me, i'm stubborn and i use linux even when gdb is slow as hell)
      Finally, sceners are open to share algorithms and technics, and usually they post on their blogs how they achieve those wonderful effects, and parties like Revision are the perfect places to meet sceners, learn, and see where the gfx future is going

Comment

Crashing and reset the resulation in Crossover with my Nvidia 550 ti. The backtrack is showing fault in libnvidia-glcore.so.337.12.

Comment

But as someone who is not so much into the demoscene, does anyone know why not all their code is open source by default? Is this really the spirit that they create digital art in innovative ways, but then have their methods as their secret proprietary knowledge?

But then you can notice this in many areas. Now that quite a few games have gone cross platform like half life 2, there are still new mods being created from scratch that are for windows only and no source code is released. Or the countless windows-only demos for the oculus rift where no source code is available...

I'm not trying to troll or something, I'm genuinely curious what the big gain is in keeping the source code secret for programs that are released free of cost...
          It's called "compos" (competitions) for a reason...

However, some groups release source code for their products.
          You can search for products offering source code on pouet.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
            Crashing and reset the resulation in Crossover with my Nvidia 550 ti. The backtrack is showing fault in libnvidia-glcore.so.337.12.
            It crashes with primusrun (wine program has stopped running). Silect crash with optirun (765 M )

I suspect it's something that optimus is not doing right... It shows blue screen when run with intel graphics though...

Comment

Not really impressive

What is so "impressive" about this demo besides its size? Seriously Michael, you need to stop playing Quake 3 clones and play some current games.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                What is so "impressive" about this demo besides its size?
                Nothing. It's just that most programmers couldn't write a "Hello World" program this small.

This demo is a bit like a guy on a bicycle doing 400 km/h. It's easy to do with a Veyron, but it's not easy on a bicycle.

This demo is fucking insane. Absolutely mind-boggling. Demo scene rulez.

Comment

The only thing *amazing* about this is the 64kb. Beyond that, it's rather pathetic for 2014.

Comment

You should study the history of demoscene to learn that. The demoscene started as a spinoff, originating from "cracks" in pirate games and software. The hackers first just broke the copy protection system from the distribution and repacked the software stamping their own trademark all over the pirate distribution. A bit later they added some greetings file with fancy ASCII art and later greetz as a small .com/.exe intro in mode 13h. These demos lead to a serious competition between few groups like Razor 1911. Later they found other forums for publishing these results, e.g. the annual Assembly event in Finland. So the roots are in very low moral and ethics and basically stealing of commercial software. If you think of this pirate attitude and the need to compete with other criminals, they found it easier to not share anything. You had to be intelligent enough to figure it out yourself. It's like anti GNU.

Comment

Would make a great addition as a benchmark to the pts!

...and somehow I am not surprised it does not work with AMD's drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X