Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes New OpenGL 4.4 Extensions

Phoronix: AMD Publishes New OpenGL 4.4 Extensions

AMD published two new OpenGL extensions today that the graphics giant has developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do not see either of those extensions here:

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
      Um, maybe because they were just published and are nowhere close to being in core yet?

Comment

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
        That link doesn't list any extensions at all, unless they are in the core profile - and therefore approved by amd, nvidia, and everyone else in the khronos group.

So what's your point?

If anyone was going to post some snark here, i thought it would be that fglrx doesn't even support 4.4 yet, and they are already working on extensions based on that spec rather than the 4.3 version they do support.

Comment

The misunderstanding is mine - I thought these were a part of OpenGL 4.4.

Comment

The misunderstanding is mine - I thought these were a part of OpenGL 4.4.
            Nope, they are based off of OpenGL 4.4. You could implement them prior to OpenGL 4.4 support, but if AMD says "OpenGL 4.4" then there's gotta be SOME reason they picked it. Maybe the extensions are based off of existing 4.4 extensions? Maybe there's some assumption that only holds true on 4.4+ systems? Or maybe they just only tested it against a 4.4 conforming driver, who knows.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Actualy the first extension requires OpenGL 4.0 while the second only requires transform_feedback3 so it could be implemented on top of existing mesa. The fact that it's writen against 4.4 means that they took into account interactions with all the extensions mandated by OpenGL 4.4 (core)

Comment

Working...
              X