No announcement yet.

Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, seeing those numbers in comparison to "naive" (whatever that means here) Direct3D11 really makes you wonder why engine architects aren't jumping on GL4.3. Especially with things like VirtualReality where very high framerates across two rendered screens are indispensable.

The more I read into this though, the more it seems like the opaque work of the driver is thinning, and you more or less end up managing most of the GPU resources yourself (manual buffer access fences, texture allocations via sparse arrays of arrays etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      What are you talking about? Their open source drivers have had consistent support for well over six months, and soon to be an entire year of consistent improvement. It's a lot better than what NVIDIA is doing.
      The truth sometimes gets in the way when trying to promote your favorite product. AMD is doing lots of things right. Unfortunately these right things often take a long time to realize fully, sometimes impatience is a factor.

Comment

Guys, nothing discussed in this presentation are part of AMD's new Linux driver strategy, that I am still fathoming and will be writing about in the next day or two... Off now to another dinner with AMD to discuss this matter.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          What are you talking about? Their open source drivers have had consistent support for well over six months, and soon to be an entire year of consistent improvement. It's a lot better than what NVIDIA is doing.
          And before that they fired 90 percent of their Linux developers and put their proprietary drivers on life support for many months. Then they decided that open source is they way forward. Now, they're again fixing bugs in their closed source drivers (check the vogl blog) with the help of Valve. Apparently, they even announced mantle and trueaudio(?) Linux support, etc. This is what I l call a severe case of "jack of all trades and master of none".

Anyway. We'll see what they have planned this time I presume in several days. I have nothing against AMD. I just wish they'd be more consistent with their Linux endeavors.
          Last edited by Anarchy; 20 March 2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
            And before that they fired 90 percent of their Linux developers
            Source?

Then they decided that open source is they way forward.
            Source?

Now, they're again fixing bugs in their closed source drivers (check the vogl blog) with the help of Valve.
            Source where they ever stopped?

Apparently, they even announced mantle
            Source about it being on linux?

and trueaudio(?) Linux support, etc.
            That's no surprise, they usually support their hardware through the fglrx driver. It would be surprising if they didn't plan to support it.

This is what I l call a severe case of "jack of all trades and master of none".
            Absolutely, and you can criticize that, but they've been like that for years now. I don't see anything changing over the past 3 years, let alone the last 6 months.

I just wish they'd be more consistent with their Linux endeavors.
            It's this "consistency" you speak of that i don't understand. They have been consistent. Maybe you meant you wish they would do other things and they aren't doing them? Or just do them better?
            Last edited by smitty3268; 20 March 2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              Wow, seeing those numbers in comparison to "naive" (whatever that means here) Direct3D11 really makes you wonder why engine architects aren't jumping on GL4.3. Especially with things like VirtualReality where very high framerates across two rendered screens are indispensable.
              Seeing the pains Valve had to undertake porting their games to OpenGL and Linux I think we know clearly why developers have eschewed OpenGL: at least one of the three vendors has completely awful driver support.

Comment

DX12 should likely eliminate any performance advantages OGL currently has.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Source?

Source?

Source where they ever stopped?

Source about it being on linux?

That's no surprise, they usually support their hardware through the fglrx driver. It would be surprising if they didn't plan to support it.

Absolutely, and you can criticize that, but they've been like that for years now. I don't see anything changing over the past 3 years, let alone the last 6 months.

It's this "consistency" you speak of that i don't understand. They have been consistent. Maybe you meant you wish they would do other things and they aren't doing them? Or just do them better?

Don't be a bot. They're not consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    DX12 should likely eliminate any performance advantages OGL currently has.
                    DX12 is vaporware. So let it arrive first.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                      Don't be a bot. They're not consistent.
                      Then please point out something they haven't been consistent at. Anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X