Firefox 29 Beta Pulls In Many Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Me too, although it seems our impressions are very different.

I definitely see hints of Chrome coming through in this interface, but that's not really a bad thing. It's not just a copy or anything.

I seem to have exactly the same amount of space used by the interface as before. I don't like the transparency, but the curves and new menu work just fine.

If anything, it seems to be a little more responsive than before, which is always nice.

I'll have to use it a bit more to confirm, but right now my first impression is that all the noise about this is about nothing. It's slightly nicer than before, but not really that much of a change, good or bad.
    A few more impressions:

Memory use is up about 25%. Boo Of course that might not have anything to do with the UI changes, I don't what else they've done in this release.

The reload button up in the url bar is different enough it's throwing me off when i want to click on it. I don't even remember what the old one looked like, but it seemed like it was easier to hit for some reason. It may have just shifted around and my muscle memory needs to adapt.

Overall things look nicer and more modern than before.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 21 March 2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      A few more impressions:

Memory use is up about 25%. Boo Of course that might not have anything to do with the UI changes, I don't what else they've done in this release.

Where? I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
        https://areweslimyet.com/

Where? I don't see it.
        Probably addons.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          CSS3 Variables... Interesting!

Too bad I get this message in Chrome 34 (Beta) when I had a look at the website: http://css3.bradshawenterprises.com/blog/css-variables/

Hah... It's been since August 2012 as written in a web page and I don't know why Chrom{e,ium} 33 or 34 supports CSS3 variables.

Making use of CSS3 variables can be of very helpful tool for maintaining color scheme.
          You can do that today using SASS and maintain browser compatibility.
          What would be interesting is if the counters that have been in CSS for a long time
          were usable as input to other rules like animation-delay.

Comment

CSS variables are really cool.
            I wish we had them a decade ago though.

Maybe a nicer syntax would be better though, I don't know.

I look forward to GTK3 and Wayland support...

Comment

gst 1.0 comes in FF30 right?

Comment

I don't mind the look of it at first glance, except for the fact that the global menu is now where my bookmarks menu button has been since Firefox 2.0, and it's one of the things I can't move. It could do with less padding too.

Comment

I don't believe people are upset about Australis for the new skin - after all, you can just change that, anyway, thanks to Classic Theme Restorer.

It's the fact that it breaks nearly every theme and customisation available, and many of them won't be getting the necessary rewrite.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                    I don't believe people are upset about Australis for the new skin - after all, you can just change that, anyway, thanks to Classic Theme Restorer.

It's the fact that it breaks nearly every theme and customisation available, and many of them won't be getting the necessary rewrite.
                    Except that it does break ANY themes (it even makes most of them look better), and 99% of addons will work just fine (addons which targeted the add-on bar will be automatically placed next to the menu button).

So no, people are just mad about the change. Many people don't like change.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                      I know it doesn't break EVERY customisation available, because I used it the Australis Nightly with addons. But in regards to the theme... and? Anytime ANY piece of software that allows themes makes ANY changes it has the possibility to break existing themes. That's been known since forever, and Firefox is no different.

If the theme is unmaintained then you had to know that eventually it would stop working, well now's that time.
                      If the theme IS maintained then shame on the developer of that theme for not making an Australis version. This wasn't a big 'shock' change, this has been known about MONTHS and has been able to be played around with since last year. Hell, they even made special versions of the nightlies available last year that were current-nightly + australis so that those who were interested, and developers, could start playing around with it and figuring it out.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X