Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Are you ****** kidding me? You want to circumvent one of the BIG advantages of Linux, the package management?
    YES, I would.

Package managers are great, but solo installable graphics drivers are ALSO highly desirable and NEED to appear, at some point.

I do not want either/or, just one. I want BOTH. (Both package management availabilities, and solo installer availabilities)

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      YES, I would.

Package managers are great, but solo installable graphics drivers are ALSO highly desirable and NEED to appear, at some point.

I do not want either/or, just one. I want BOTH. (Both package management availabilities, and solo installer availabilities)
      B-BUT MUH UNIX WAY OF DOING THINGS

I think canonical wanted to go in the direction of each app being packaged with all its dependencies so that multiple versions of that dependency can be used for different applications

Comment

YES, I would.
        I like that my distro makes up to date patched versions of say gnutls available without hunting around for a ridiculous exe file that i probably couldn't trust. Windows does things backwards. Now when it comes to building kernels and graphics drivers for your system it does get a bit nutty but when sites like google give you 20 listings of people trying to spoof a popular download before you even get to the real link I would never want that system in place for linux.

Comment

I would love to see the ability to update individual drivers. I had the situation where the old kernel had crappy video drivers while the new kernel had a power consumption regression (for over a year) on atom laptops. Being able to update individual drivers without having to pull from git and hand compile the kernel would be great. Not being able to do so is one of the more serious problems I have with linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            I would love to see the ability to update individual drivers. I had the situation where the old kernel had crappy video drivers while the new kernel had a power consumption regression (for over a year) on atom laptops. Being able to update individual drivers without having to pull from git and hand compile the kernel would be great. Not being able to do so is one of the more serious problems I have with linux.
            the solution for that issue already exists and is named archlinux.org + http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git/ and it even let you install drivers separately and if you need to compile a packages for some reason, like a git kernel just use AUR which basically means decompress an xz file and run makepkg and all is done automagically without any sort of user intervention

and if you want nice guy install Apper which is already integrated with Pacman(like apt-get but for Arch) and pkgkit

Comment

YES, I would.

The following links give you exactly that.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking for here. Perhaps you are missing SiS drivers or something? Or perhaps you just don't know how to put "$BRAND Linux driver download" into a search engine?(The exact same way you would with windows)
              Last edited by crshbndct; 05 March 2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crshbndct View Post
                The following links give you exactly that.
                No they don't, I didn't see the new Mesa nor the new AMD Radeon xf86-video-ati 7.3.0 drivers hosted.

So..... try again. We are a long way off from downloadable solo updater files.

Comment

No they don't, I didn't see the new Mesa nor the new AMD Radeon xf86-video-ati 7.3.0 drivers hosted.

So..... try again. We are a long way off from downloadable solo updater files.
                  It's pointless dude.
                  Let me say it that you can understand it:
                  POINTLESS

You did not say why it is "needed at some point".
                  You did not tell how it should be possible to currently with all the different kernel versions.
                  Who should do it since you are the only one demanding it?

Comment

So..... try again.
                    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/amd64/ - have fun but be warned that it might still use your package manager. :P

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                      I would love to see the ability to update individual drivers.
                      Try Haiku :-D The way I designed the current OpenGL kit, you can plug and unplug Mesa driver add-ons as needed because we use generic GL dispatch code. (for example, install a single LLVMPipe Add-on, and get LLVM pipe renderering. Throw in a legacy software rast add-on and use that. Remove all renderers and get pretty error text over your OpenGL surface noting the missing GL renderer)

Comment

Working...
                      X