X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Of course, Ubuntu kinda has this agenda of being usable by third-world countries as well and not providing a CD release would hurt that agenda.
    Not sure that's realistic... any machine that can boot a modern Ubuntu release can boot from USB... and if you're looking to save costs, a CD/DVD drive would be one of the first things I'd drop these days...

Leave a comment:

• BSDude
    replied
    So we may end up seeing VDPAU driver support out-of-the-box in future Fedora Linux releases while it won't be in Fedora over being conservative with the disk image size.
    Did you mean Ubuntu?

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    A possible compromise

Already ubuntu ships with Jockey to allow switching drivers to or from the closed blob drivers. Why not modify Jockey to also allow use of one of the optimized driver PPAs like the Oibaf PPA? Keep in mind, I think Ubuntu still does not ship mpeg support by default anyway, so you already have to add the codecs to use VDPAU support. Mint (which does ship the codecs) might need another solution, I would suggest they cherry-pick a sweet spot from the Oibaf PPA each release and put it in their "import" repo.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Which is already too big for CDs, so that's not really a factor. Not that it should be, either - I can't think that many people actually boot off CD/DVD these days, compared to the convenience of using a USB stick...
    Reminds me of when Fedora dropped CD releases. I didn't witness personally but have heard it was release by release battle to get things to fit in the CD back then. Of course, Ubuntu kinda has this agenda of being usable by third-world countries as well and not providing a CD release would hurt that agenda. That said, whatever is shipped with the live image constraining what should be available for installing in the actual release sounds ridiculous. User-experience for majority of users shouldn't be crippled just to cater the people trying out Linux with live media.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
    ubuntu 12.04 is 733mb
    13.10 is 833 or 883 mb
    Which is already too big for CDs, so that's not really a factor. Not that it should be, either - I can't think that many people actually boot off CD/DVD these days, compared to the convenience of using a USB stick...

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    Why is everyone saying it's as simple as enabling a configuration option? It's not. If they ship it, they have to support it.
    Maybe they should just stop shipping Mesa entirely then, because I'm sure that's not simple to support. Who needs 3D graphics anyway?

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    Why is everyone saying it's as simple as enabling a configuration option? It's not. If they ship it, they have to support it.
    Other distributions don't have problems supporting it.

Leave a comment:

• gigaplex
    replied

Leave a comment:

• asdfblah
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    While I agree that they should include it, if Debian has valid reasons for not including it, Ubuntu will probably respect that regardless.

In this case I think it's to avoid dependency hell.
    AFAIK, they just need a maintainer.
    To me, as an Ubuntu user, this is absurd... because Ubuntu has its own team for mesa.

Leave a comment:

• ricequackers
    replied
    8MB will make it "too big to download"? I call BS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X