• oibaf
    replied
    It last only a few days...:

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    Yeah, exactly.
    What I meant is, VLC (< 2.2?) doesn't seem to use VDPAU at all, and you can check that simply by looking at cpu usage. The debugging output when using the -v flag is almost cryptic... but you can see there that it isn't using VDPAU.
    Anyway, VLC itself seems to be buggy as hell. mpv is great.
    VLC requires the latest and greatest LIBAV packages and the Ubuntu repos are way out of date on that and I've read that VLC has to be compiled a specific way to enable VDPAU, which distros like Ubuntu aren't doing. Hence VLC and VDPAU don't really work at this point for most users who can't figure out all the mess. I've also read that installing the latest LIBAV packages isn't necessarily a work-around as they don't get recognized by the software in many cases.

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    It still misses xvmc however. Also there is no reference to any of the 3 bug reports about it in the changelog.

Leave a comment:

• Bestia
    replied
    Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    Today it appeared as new package in Trusty.

apt-get changelog libvdpau1-drivers-mesa

mesa (10.1.0~rc1-1ubuntu4) trusty; urgency=medium

* Merge from debian git
    - Enable building drivers for libvdpau1

-- Timo Aaltonen <[email protected]> Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:46:24 +0200

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Hah, nothing like a phoronix shitstorm caused by irc logs to push things

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    Something's coming...: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=...7f1b61102d3f61

Leave a comment:

• edgar_wibeau
    replied
    Hi folks, I was wrong, VLC in Ubuntu 13.10 indeed doesn't utilize vdpau. For some reason I had to set it's video output manually to glx-whatever, after I had replaced the standard xorg/mesa-stack with oibaf's stuff. Yesterday (with current oibaf stack) I could remove that option and it still works fine. I doesn't seem to use vdpau in any case and also it's not an output option. Sorry for the confusion.

What I wrote is still valid for xine though.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    SSD writes are a false problem. Most so-called optimizations, apart of TRIM and not defragging, are useless, if not hurting.
    how can reducing of write calls hurt a ssd?

And even if it would be true, still the advantage in speed rocks. And even if you dont use a ssd this advantage is even bigger.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    Believe me, thats only a example from what ubuntu "defends" you, stuff like ramfs or tmpfs for /tmp and profile-sync-deamon that puts your browser-profile/cache into ram and not only speeds your browsing experience up, but if you use a ssd also reduces the amounts of writes so your ssd will most likely stay longer alive.
    SSD writes are a false problem. Most so-called optimizations, apart of TRIM and not defragging, are useless, if not hurting.

Leave a comment:

• asdfblah
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Not edgar_wibeau, but anyways, in Slackware VLC 2.1.3 uses VDPAU, but it comes with heavy stuttering and artifacts, so I wouldn't say it works. On the same setup MPlayer works fine with VDPAU, so I wouldn't consider this a driver issue, but a problem of VLC.
    Yeah, exactly.
    What I meant is, VLC (< 2.2?) doesn't seem to use VDPAU at all, and you can check that simply by looking at cpu usage. The debugging output when using the -v flag is almost cryptic... but you can see there that it isn't using VDPAU.
    Anyway, VLC itself seems to be buggy as hell. mpv is great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X