X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baconmon
    replied
    yippy skippy!

I know every one is upset about vdpau not being including in ubuntu.. But look at the bright side.. You get 8 megabytes of free space to use instead! WOW! That's like 8,388,608 bytes of infinite space! Think of all the pixel-art and text files you will be able to store on your 4TB hard-drive with all that extra space......amazing! Thanks ubuntu! You always know exactly what your users want!..

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I think the out of the box experience is important, i usually give hints which ISO would fit best for a hd install for a specific use case and hardware. If you need more customisation it is easy to build images with different apps/drivers preinstalled. Usually i am done with a fully working Linux hd install incl. some tools I can not add to the standard ISO images in less than 30 mins when installed from usb key (with nighly images you save the time to run an update later). In that time you might have installed Win 8.1 but you still run updates and install 3 d drivers, and you did not have time to install an office app or 3rd party browser/mail client yet. Win 7 Sp1 would be a much huger pain to update after install. But you seem to have plenty of time for your OS installs...

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    There were game-changing vdpau fixes just recently, some to the kernel too. Perhaps their target kernel won't include those, and so the experience would suck even if they enabled the userspace option.
    Game changing in what way?

Leave a comment:

• Andrecorreia
    replied
    what the big problem?

what the big problem? i install arch last and nothing come in iso, i nedd to build the system... i install today windows 7 in laptop i need to install every bullshit driver network, video, etc... i don t see what the big question here about this and what is the "real" problem. no OS come working out of box well even with pre-installed windows mac, etc. mt sister samsung laptop with windows 8 for example, the sound drivers don t work (i don t believed when i see it to)

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    The current trusty ISO is 909mb 64bit and 922mb 32bit this extra size excuse is bullshit
    Just a friendly reminder that those are DAILY. They do not worry about squeezing it really far down until the actual release.
    That being said, yes, the size argument is retarded.

Leave a comment:

• DDF420
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
    ubuntu 12.04 is 733mb
    13.10 is 833 or 883 mb

both 64bit so i assume 32bit would be even smaller

theres alot more space they can use to include stuff like full language packs and stuff like that on the image.
    The current trusty ISO is 909mb 64bit and 922mb 32bit this extra size excuse is bullshit

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Ubuntu's 3.13 kernel misses 2 possible UVD patches, but one thing should be noted, all vdpau libs that can be compiled from mesa are only 1.3 mb compressed, you can forget a size issue. I created a package with only vdpau libs called libg3dvl-mesa similar to the Ubuntu PPA but without xvmc and everybody can look at the deb size, thats usually the size a live iso gets bigger.

Kanotix has nightly iso images with that mesa called "special", which have got binary drivers in gfxdetect mode and latest stable mesa (with needed uvd patches). Very simple to verify if it would work...

Packages installed you see here:

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    There were game-changing vdpau fixes just recently, some to the kernel too. Perhaps their target kernel won't include those, and so the experience would suck even if they enabled the userspace option.

Leave a comment:

• gigaplex
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Maybe they should just stop shipping Mesa entirely then, because I'm sure that's not simple to support. Who needs 3D graphics anyway?
    While we're at it let's throw out the kernel drivers, who needs a frame buffer? Mesa is required for their UI stack. Accelerated video playback is nice to have but isn't essential. It would be nice if Canonical supported it, but it's not the end of the world.

Leave a comment:

• edgar_wibeau
    replied
    That sucks big time, really Of course I know how to use oibaf's PPA but I'd really like to stick with the stable base. Let alone joe sixppack who I really don't want to ask for handling PPAs including the problems when updating to the next release. Couldn't them ubuntu folks just enable it and maybe push the libg3dvl-mesa package (16 MB installed size in oibaf's repo btw) to universe, multiverse or whatever would be the correct unsupported repo inside the normal ubuntu world? So users wouldn't have topo replace the whole GFX stack by something unsupported? And I dont care if it's not on the live ISO btw. It's just the base for installation and maybe once in a while testing if e.g. some notebook is supported well enough.

And if they don't include it now, why should they ever do so in future? Really, I don't understand it.

Same for OpenCL btw.
    Last edited by edgar_wibeau; 18 February 2014, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X