Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Finishes Up OpenGL 3, Lots Of OpenGL 4 Ahead

Phoronix: Mesa Finishes Up OpenGL 3, Lots Of OpenGL 4 Ahead

Aside from the list of Mesa's supported OpenGL 3.x and 4.x extension documentation having been updated today for Nouveau OpenGL 3.3 support, Ian Romanick took the time to clean up the list and clarify a few items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and sandy bridge?

no opengl 3.3? i see the people will stuck with 3.1

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      no opengl 3.3? i see the people will stuck with 3.1
      And no OpenGL 1.4 for radeon r200, just OpenGL 1.3. That's a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
        Sandybridge hardware actually supports GL 3.3, though, if the driver support is there. Though I question whether the hardware is really fast enough to use with software that needs it, anyway.

Comment

GL4.2 is fairly close

Again, the 3 extensions that need major work in 4.0 are tesselation, fp64, and subroutines. I'm not aware of anyone starting these yet.

The rest of 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 are either done or in progress and pretty close to being done. Anyone looking to start new work should probably be looking at 4.3 or 4.4 at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
            Well, seeing as r200 hardware only supports OpenGL 1.3, it can't be that surprising...or were you being faceious?

Similarly, Sandy Bridge CPUs (which have HD 2000/3000 graphics), support only OpenGL 3.1 at most (had to search deep for that one). So, yeah, you're sort of stuck there... Edit: Oh, is the hardware actually capable of 3.3? Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              Similarly, Sandy Bridge CPUs (which have HD 2000/3000 graphics), support only OpenGL 3.1 at most (had to search deep for that one). So, yeah, you're sort of stuck there... Edit: Oh, is the hardware actually capable of 3.3? Interesting...
              Yeah, but Intel never exposed 3.2/3.3 on their windows drivers either, which is why most of the spec sheets all say 3.1.

The geometry shader support is apparently very different from what later hardware does, and would require a lot of extra work, so that's why no one has done it yet.

Comment

will the file be renamed to GL4.txt when all mesa drivers support GL3.3?

Comment

Since Intel is useless POS when is comes to performance, let's hope the driver development for Nvidia and AMD works faster in the future. LLVM compiled, reverse engineered open drivers are the only option for gaming if you don't like commercial quality drivers.

Comment

I have no idea what's involved in adding GL compliance. Why does it take so long? Is it just a low priority, are there just not people working on it, or is it really complicated?

Comment

Working...
                    X