Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill it?

Maybe its time to burn XvMC with fire?

Completely strip it out of the source tree!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nah, give it a few releases before doing so. It's always good to give a warning, and if there are any people still interested in it, they can take leverage from this warning to step up and volunteer to maintain it. If they don't, then crop it, we don't need unmaintained code to polute projects if nobody cares.

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      The issue is not that unit tests fail, the issue is that nobody is maintaining it and it starts to bitrot.
      I know. Again, what I say is that the logic is counter intuitive, not that is wrong.

Now you're saying that "they" should just keep maintaining it, but how do you enforce something like that in a community project? No volunteer cares enough about the feature to maintain it, no company cares about the feature enough to pay someone to maintain it.. and in fact, most people aren't even using it. What now?
      If you think I'm saying they should keep maintaining it, please read my post again, until you actually understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well, that's pretty much where they're headed, isn't it? First, disable it by default, then disable building it at all (i.e patch-enable it if needed), then wipe it out of existence...

Comment

Working...
        X