Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.0 Lands In Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr"

Phoronix: Mesa 10.0 Lands In Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr"

The exciting Mesa 10.0 graphics driver stack landed today in the "Trusty Tahr" archive for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. For many users this means better open-source GPU driver performance, new OpenGL support, and other new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Related to Mesa 10.0 in Ubuntu 14.04, does anyone know if LLVM 3.4 will make it in at some point? It'd be a shame if Ubuntu's next LTS didn't enable support for RadeonSI by default, and that's somewhat dependent on LLVM 3.4 (when the R600 back-end was enabled by default).

Comment

...and in Fedora four days ago

It landed in Fedora Rawhide (21) on 12-05:

why didn't we get a news story?

Comment

AMD VDPAU bugfix also included

There was a bug in the AMD VDPAU driver - it incorrectly reported some video decoding capabilities. VLC (and possibly others) wouldn't use VDPAU for video decoding in that case (althugh mplayer did).

Now that it's fixed, VDPAU video decoding should work fine in VLC (atleast in 2.3).

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Maybe because Ubuntu news stories usually create more page impressions?
          Or may be because of the alleged large userbase of Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            Because Rawhide is not the way to get packages earlier for a regular Fedora user. Ubuntu PPAs usually are and usually cause no problems.
            (using Fedora and waiting for Mesa 10 and Xorg 1.15 in Fedora http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=295560 )

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              Maybe because Ubuntu news stories usually create more page impressions?
              Or may be because of the alleged large userbase of Ubuntu?
              Ubuntu creates more pages hits because it has the largest user base, nothing maybe about it.

Google trends and each other serious search and trend method support this fact. (Spoiler: distrowatch is not one of these with its page count method).

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                Ubuntu creates more pages hits because it has the largest user base, nothing maybe about it.

Google trends and each other serious search and trend method support this fact. (Spoiler: distrowatch is not one of these with its page count method).
                I don't know much about Google trends, but if it's measuring how many people search for Ubuntu, maybe that's because Ubuntu users tend to require more help than other Linux users. It's known as a noob friendly distro, I certainly started on it. And I required Google to figure out everything. Linux is a steep learning curve to those migrating from Windows, I remember being bemused by Aptitude (wait...how exactly do you install a program? You don't go to the website of the maker and download an installer?...weird!). Whereas now, as a much more savvy Arch user, my first port of call is the Arch webpage/forums which answers most of my queries. Google is my second port of call.

Comment

I'm actually wondering why it takes for Arch Linux so long to update to Mesa 10.0, can't believe Ubuntu beat it to it
                  I'm as well hoping Ubuntu includes llvm 3.4 to offer a good open-source experience with AMD graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    I don't know much about Google trends, but if it's measuring how many people search for Ubuntu, maybe that's because Ubuntu users tend to require more help than other Linux users. It's known as a noob friendly distro, I certainly started on it. And I required Google to figure out everything. Linux is a steep learning curve to those migrating from Windows, I remember being bemused by Aptitude (wait...how exactly do you install a program? You don't go to the website of the maker and download an installer?...weird!). Whereas now, as a much more savvy Arch user, my first port of call is the Arch webpage/forums which answers most of my queries. Google is my second port of call.
                    Google trends is NOT a measure how much people search for an item, although it can do that also. This said, google trends was only an example. There are also counts based on website visits, several professional researches about the subject and even big companies who choose to support Ubuntu (initially) because of their own research indicate ubuntu is used the most.

Noob friendly? LOL, you make it sound like only noobs use ubuntu. Probably not a good moment to confess my homeserver is running Ubuntu server 12.04.

I to remember being bemused by aptitude and the file system... it just didn't compute that an installation didn't end up in one location

Comment

Working...
                    X